Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Have you produced LETTERS TO SALA?

Posted 12-06-2018 13:56
    Do you have production and/or backstage photos or video from Letters to Sala (published by DPS)?
    Award-winning documentary producer/director Murray Nossel and cinematographer Edward Marritz are completing a documentary, "Sala's Gift." (Eddie recently shot Spielberg and Fonda for HBO and has dozens of credits from Nova, PBS, etc.) They've been working on this for years, but since both Sala and her husband Sidney passed away this year, they finally have an ending to the story and last week recorded rehearsal footage of the current production at Bronx Science in NYC.
    Eddie plans on including a collage of amateur stills and footage from some of the nearly one-hundred productions that have been presented by high schools in the past four years, showing how Sala's story has gone out in the world.
    If you have photos, please contact me at arlene@barrowgroup.org and I'll forward them to Eddie and get you in touch with him. 
    Sala's daughter Ann is putting together a website of resources; we would also be interested, with permissions, in including names of schools which have produced the play and a photo from the rehearsal or production.

If you are interested in taking a look at the updated script of Letters to Sala, I'm happy to email you a manuscript copy and/or a 45-minute version of the play that has been developed at the Sewanee Young Writers Conference.

Many thanks to all the schools who have produced the play, especially those who have reached out to Ann and me. We've enjoyed talking to you via Skype and email. 

all the best,
    Arlene Hutton

------------------------------
    Arlene Hutton
    Playwright: Letters to Sala, I Dream Before I Take the Stand, Kissed the Girls and Made Them Cry

faculty, The Barrow Group, NYC
    arlene@barrowgroup.org

• 2.  RE: Have you produced LETTERS TO SALA?

Posted 12-07-2018 07:12
    Hi Arlene,

I am very interested in seeing the 45-minute version of the script!  I have an advanced Theatre class and we are currently looking for a female-heavy drama to produce in class.  Letters To Sala is on my short list.  One of my concerns was the length and a shorter version would be fantastic.  If it is a printed copy, I'm happy to pay for the script and shipping.

Thanks!

Laura Russo
    10 Longview Ave
    Madison, NJ 07940
    lrusso@chatham-nj.org

Laura Russo
    Teacher/Director of Theatre Arts
    School District of The Chathams
    Chatham NJ

• 3.  RE: Have you produced LETTERS TO SALA?

Posted 12-08-2018 16:33
    We are producing Letters to Sala this spring & are very excited! Arlene, i spoke to you at length about it last summer at ITF. Ive read the book, Sala's gift and we are planning more than just the production of the play. I have a committee of teachers that are preparing to turn our lobby into a "mini museum " to educate audiences specifically about life in the labor camps during the war. Also, I have an IB student that is gojng to take on the monumental task of student dramaturgy. She will write something fir the program & do pre-show lectures. Furthermore,  we are going to have a school wide assembly to educate the student body on the labor camps, interspersed with scenes from the play. Lastly, i was inspired to do this production because of a student ive had in my program for four years. She is one of only two Jewish students on our large campus of 3400 students. anti-Semitic hate crimes have risen 37% in the past year nationwide.  It saddens me that my young student feels less safe at school than she did four years ago. I also feel the best way to combat hate is with education,  so she is going to write a first-person narrative for the program about life as a Jewish girl in our conservative,  primarily LDS community. I was also inspired by script itself. It is so beautifully written and i started crying on page two. If you have any other suggestions to enhance & educate, i am open to all ideas!

Jeana Whitaker
    Westwood High School
    Mesa, AZ

• 4.  RE: Have you produced LETTERS TO SALA?

Posted 12-10-2018 11:59
    Thanks to everyone who sent photos and requested scripts for the full-length and short versions of Letters to Sala.
    And thanks for all the kind words about what the play has meant to you and your students. I've shared them with Ann Kirshner (Sala's daughter) and her family. Ann and I are usually available to Skype in with classes and answer questions and you are certainly welcome to ask contact us via email: arlene@barrowgroup.org

Arlene Hutton
    Playwright: Letters to Sala, I Dream Before I Take the Stand, Kissed the Girls and Made Them Cry

faculty, The Barrow Group, NYC
    arlene@barrowgroup.org

• 5.  RE: Have you produced LETTERS TO SALA?

Posted 12-07-2018 09:56
    Good day! My name is Bill Dawson and I am a speech and theatre arts teacher at West Waterloo High School in Waterloo, Iowa. I would be so very appreciative to peruse the 45-minute version of Letters to Sala, too. I would be willing to cover whatever costs are extpected to obtain a copy of the script. Thank you for your attention to this request. Appreciatively, Bill Dawson, West High School, 425 E. Ridgeway, Waterloo, Iowa, 50702
    dawsonw@waterlooschools.org

William Dawson
    Professional Speech and Theatre Educator, Director
    Waterloo Community Schools
    Cedar Falls IA