Open Forum

View Only

Romeo and Juliet

• 1.  Romeo and Juliet

Posted 03-10-2017 09:55
    It is that time that we have to select our fallen spring shows for the following year and I am considering choosing Romeo and Juliet as our dramatic piece for the fall production. However I am a bit hesitant about choosing such a difficult piece due to the Shakespearean language within the text and the struggle actors may have with having to produce such vivid and complicated language. Has anyone performed Romeo and Juliet at the high school level that can enlighten me with the advantages and disadvantages or pros and cons with performing a Shakespearean piece such as Romeo and Juliet? Is it a play that still draws audiences or is it a piece that is slowly fading away from the spotlight from overuse?

Thanks​,
    Waleska Mendoza
    Drama Instructor
    Capuchino HS

• 2.  RE: Romeo and Juliet

Posted 03-10-2017 11:40
    I haven't done R&J, but I have done A Midsummer Night's Dream. I think the best way to approach it is to do cuts. The original text is very taxing on amateur actors (though your more experienced kids could probably handle it fine), and honestly runs sooo long. The modern high school audience just doesn't want to sit for two and a half hours of Shakespeare. 

When I did Midsummer, I cut it down to a tight hour and a half (not including intermission). I tried to capture the most key elements of the show while cutting a lot of the redundancies or extra-flowery prose where a character is just going on and on about something that is pretty clearly revealed in one or two lines. Try to maintain the original ideas and intent, but trim the fat. Of course, I do recommend that you read your cuts out loud to yourself to make sure they still flow nicely.

As for R&J specifically, I think the main challenge is that so much falls to your Romeo and Juliet. In a show like Midsummer, the weight is pretty evenly distributed amongst the 4 lovers, Titania, Oberon, and Puck. While there are certainly meaty parts in R&J aside from the titular leads, really the lion's share of the dialogue is on them. So make sure you have some kids with a good head for memorization. Or you may want to consider planning and extra week or two into your rehearsal process. After all, memorizing Shakespeare is much more difficult (in my opinion) than memorizing, say, Neil Simon.

If you have any interest in Midsummer, I'd be happy to share my cut with you.

------------------------------
    Rachel Snow
    Drama and Technical Theater Teacher
    Alhambra High School
    Alhambra CA

• 3.  RE: Romeo and Juliet

Posted 03-10-2017 13:46

Shakespeare isn't difficult for students if you lay the groundwork. The first Shakespeare play I directed was Macbeth in my 7th grade theatre class. The students had a good understanding of the text and how to deliver the text so the audience understood what was going on and were engaged the entire time. 

I always cut Shakespeare and I never have an intermission.You need to read the play and make cuts that you feel are necessary. OR let the students make the cuts. Just keep the rhythm of the poetry. 

Shakespeare's Globe videos are excellent. 

There are several good books on teaching the verse.

Will Power: How to Act Shakespeare in 21 Days (Applause Books) by John Basil. My favorite book for interpreting the verse.

The Folger Library offer some good classes on teaching Shakespeare through performance. 

As to the idea that R&J is overused, when was the last time you saw it performed? Over familiar perhaps but not overused. You also might look at the "Kissing Scenes" thread, too.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 4.  RE: Romeo and Juliet

Posted 03-11-2017 10:17
    Do not be afraid of Shakespeare.  I have directed several of his works, with great success (even if there are smaller audiences attending). Romeo and Juliet is still taught at high schools, so it is a good choice to perform on stage. It will give students at the school an opportunity to see it performed live. Also, the high school actor can relate to the issues in the play because it is about love: parents' love for their children, young love, forbidden love, love and faithfulness of family, etc.

You have been given good advice so far, about making cuts. Remember that some of the language is used to establish the scene since the plays were originally performed in the afternoon, so where you can use sets, lights, etc, you are able to remove that dialogue.  Be careful to not ruin the meter and rhyme, but it is is possible to shorten the long speeches a great deal as well as scenes.  I have directed Romeo and Juliet and there are scenes that can be completely cut out (the musicians preparing for the wedding, for example). As long as the intent is clear, much can be trimmed from the play. I watched the classic Franco Zeffirelli film to confirm the cuts I had made.

For my actors, I got No Fear Shakespeare or Simply Shakespeare (Shakespeare on one side, translation on the other) so they had some translation to refer to (although I did not always agree with the translation, it gave us talking points for discussion). And remember the punctuation is key to understanding the intent of the language. 

Summer reading for you: Van Tassel's Clues to Acting Shakespeare and Kaiser's Mastering Shakespeare. From these you will get great tips and exercises to use with your actors. The book I actually used daily as a vocal warmup with the actors is Linklater's Freeing Shakespeare's Voice: The Actor's Guide to Talking the Text. Although I have not read it, I have heard good things about Hinds' Acting Shakespeare's Language, and plan to get it if I direct another Shakespeare play.

The only other concern for you is that the plot advances during two major sword fights (and one smaller one near the end of the play). I paid for a qualified stage combat instructor to come in and work with all the students who wanted to learn stage sword fighting, and also had this person choreograph the fight scenes.  It was a very exciting time for everyone, and great fun to learn this aspect of combat.  The fight scenes in Romeo and Juliet were so well done, that they actually drew people to our performances.  It was exciting every night to hear the audience's reaction when at the end of one of the fights, the choreographer had Romeo break Tybalt's neck (water bottle in the wings for the sound effect).  Most of the cast took part in the sword fighting workshops, which helped when a few years later I directed The Three Musketeers. Eventually I was able to teach students the basics of sword fighting myself, and choreograph simple sword fights for our plays.

Some good books: Martinez's Combat Mime, Suddeth's Fight Directing for the Theatre, and Ducklin and Waller's Sword Fighting. For me the sword fights are so integral to the plot of Romeo and Juliet, that I cannot see doing this particular play in any period that does not include swords. The modern day film version Romeo + Juliet with a young DiCaprio was very good until the fight scenes. It was hard to accept the use of guns made by Sword.  

Go for it! You will not regret the time and effort to produce this beautiful play. Your students will gain so much from the experience! 

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio

• 5.  RE: Romeo and Juliet

Posted 03-11-2017 10:39
    Hi Waleska!

I've got an early version of my 1-hour Romeo & Juliet cutting ("Breakneck Romeo & Juliet") available, and I'd be happy to share it, if you'd like a look. It keeps all of the famous speeches, but is bridged by snarky narration. (I'm at tim@timmooneyrep.com ) It's a companion piece to my growing list of "Breakneck" editions of Shakespeare plays.

Tim

Tim Mooney
    www.timmooneyrep.com
    www.moliere-in-english.com

• 6.  RE: Romeo and Juliet

Posted 03-11-2017 11:12
    I agree with John completely: high schoolers (and middle schoolers) can routinely perform (& love) Shakespeare, but the readiness is all. R&J does sell tickets, but would not be my first choice to start out with.  Comedy can be an easier sell to first time students and easier access. But don't let that stop you: R&J is potent because they are the right age. Do make cuts, don't run longer than two hours, & running less w/out intermission is good advice. Let me know if I can help: I have directed more than 20 student productions of Shakespeare since 1999.
    See www.communityshakespeare.org

Richard Carter
    Author/Director: Community Shakespeare Company;
    MS/HS Teacher, Lopez Schools
    Lopez Island, WA

• 7.  RE: Romeo and Juliet

Posted 03-11-2017 09:14
    Waleska,

Having directed several Shakespeare pieces with high school students, I can say that the ability to process the language is there if you do the proper table work. Before you start, I agree with my colleagues here: Cut it! Don't be afraid to work the script to trim it so that it becomes a palatable length for modern audiences. I'm in the middle of Hamlet right now and we've so far gotten it down to 2 hours. 

Second, I have reference materials with me during rehearsals at all times so the cast and I can look up the meanings of things if they get stuck. If you firmly establish that it is okay to ask for help with the language, then I find, students spend a lot of time trying to figure it out on their own knowing there is a teacher support system at rehearsals. 

As far as the piece loosing momentum, it's Shakespeare. It will never lose momentum because of the nature of it. He is first and foremost a humanist and the themes in R&J are universal. It was written at a time when he rounded the corner with characterization and started to drop the conventions of the day. Rhyming couplets stared to wither in the writing, Juliet is a 13 year old genius poet, and the fact that he recognized and illustrated the difference in how teenagers value and are valued by parents is astonishing (two teens neglected and/or pushed around by their parents as pawns turn to others for guidance - the nurse is the true mother and the Friar the true father - how many of our students does this relate to?). Students relate so well to these characters when presented right that it will not lose speed.

One strategy is to get permission from your admin to also do a school show or two for other local schools. This creates a great buzz and adds to the energy of students in the rehearsal process when they know their peers will be there!

I think it is a great choice. Trust in your students. They will certainly do the work justice if you as an instructor are concerned enough to reach out to the wider community for help, I'm sure they have learned the same from you! Best of luck.

Yours in Art,

Jason

Jason Robert LeClair, MA
    Artist/Arts Educator
    Director, Thespian Troupe 7444
    Beacon Charter High School for the Arts
    Woonsocket, RI

• 8.  RE: Romeo and Juliet

Posted 03-11-2017 09:52
    We've done a Shakespeare every other year at our school. The kids get used to it, as does our audience. But, as Rachel says, start with something lighter and more accessible. Midsummer is an excellent "gateway drug". There's a lot of plot to move the play forward. Much of the language is uncomplicated. Some of the flowery passages are extraneous and can easily be cut from the text without destroying the rhythm or the story. As a director, you can be playful with blocking and setting. There's room to build a strong ensemble with the Fairies. There are great opportunities for individual performances. And, as a bonus, there's Pyramus and Thisbe!

I directed Romeo and Juliet at a high school about 25 years ago. On the plus side, it's a recognizable title. The kids were familiar with the story, more than any other Shakespeare play. But, I had to cut it. A lot. And it still ran really long. And we found that once Mercutio and Tybalt were dead, the play lost its momentum and any trace of humor. I don't think I'd do it again, unless I found some really interesting conceit for it.

Don't be afraid to cut a Shakespearean text as long as you have a clear idea of what you are cutting for. We've done some much-shortened productions where we have rearranged a lot of the text to serve a specific purpose. For example, we turned Macbeth into a ritual theatre piece by playing it from the point of view of the witches. We developed "rituals" to underscore the action and replace sections of text. We created a performance of The Tempest as if it were the fleeting thoughts of a dying Prospero. All of the important characters grew from people who had come to pay their respects. Both of these productions used the original language but ran a concise 80 minutes and used a much smaller cast than the original. I would be happy to share those scripts with you.The kids found them accessible and they really enjoyed the process of working to create a unique world in which the action had to exist. 

When I work with Shakespeare or any complicated text, I set lots of very early off-book dates. It puts a lot of pressure on in the beginning of the process and we make sure that the actors know what they're talking about. But it makes it much easier to tell the story once they're not struggling with words. 

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    The Potomac School
    McLean, VA

• 9.  RE: Romeo and Juliet

Posted 03-11-2017 10:09
    R&J is a comedy until Mercutio gets killed. Really.
    In cutting Shakespeare I hope that you don't go by plot alone. Shakespeare's language is rich and needs to be heard and needs to be spoken by your students. 

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 10.  RE: Romeo and Juliet

Posted 03-11-2017 10:28
    I forgot to add that having a Shakespeare Lexicon and Quotation Dictionary became very helpful. I bought the two volume collection by Alexander Schmidt.  I referred to them and allowed students to use them whenever there was a question about the text. 

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio

• 11.  RE: Romeo and Juliet

Posted 03-11-2017 10:40

The Schmidt is great, as well is the Onions A Shakespeare Glossary. Both might be at Project Gutenburg. But my favorite is Crystal's Shakespeare's Words: A Glossary and Language Companion. Also, All the Words onStage: A complete Pronunciation Dictionary for the Plays of William Shakespeare, by Louis Scheeder.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 12.  RE: Romeo and Juliet

Posted 03-11-2017 11:56
    Shakespeare's Globe has a great R&J on video. Juliet is played by a black actress.  My main gripe with Shakespeare is the lack of lots of female roles. But if I cast women in male roles I play them as women. If I cast women as soldiers in Macbeth, they are women soldiers.  But I want to do Twelfth Night but if I cast women as men it throws the plot out of kilter since you have a female disguised as a male. 

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 13.  RE: Romeo and Juliet

Posted 03-11-2017 13:55
    I've put a Shakespeare play in our season every year for the last 30+ years...sometimes more than one.
    If you expect your students to be confused, they will be.
    There are plenty of resources available to help with language.
    I have done Romeo and Juliet 3 times with students. They always get it. It's about them.
    Don't fear the 'speare.

Billy Houck
    Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale, CA

• 14.  RE: Romeo and Juliet

Posted 03-12-2017 23:40
    love directing Shakespeare in high school!  

We did Romeo and Juliet several years ago, and it was very successful.  We set it in the early 1960s, at a time when many parents were actively trying to rein in their children.  We used wooden tennis rackets for the first fight.  I have also enjoyed directing A Midsummer Night's Dream, Much Ado About Nothing, Comedy of Errors, and The Tempest.

These are a few things I believe to be key to a successful production: 
    1.  Cut the play down to 2 hours.  I recommend doing the trimming yourself, because it is the best way I've found to understand the play thoroughly.
    2.  Allow time for table work before you put it on its feet.  Actors not knowing what they want because they don't understand what they are saying is a special sort of torment for audiences.
    3.  Design a set with two levels.  It doesn't have to be complicated, but having an upper level makes the blocking so easy!  Shakespeare wrote for a two-level space,

One of the huge perks of doing Shakespeare is that students learn how his words are put together like a puzzle.  They learn to be word-perfect, because it is hard to ad lib.  Honestly, Shakespearean plays are the cleanest plays my students ever perform in terms of having all the words there in the right order.  

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 15.  RE: Romeo and Juliet

Posted 03-13-2017 12:24
    We just did Romeo and Juliet in the Fall.  The script was not difficult for students at all and many of them really enjoyed performing in it.  The hardest part about R+J is the fight choreography.  I would suggest hiring a fight choreographer if at all possible.  I hired a fencing coach and that was a tremendous help with this show.  Beyond that the show is fun and a big draw, as most high schoolers read it in English classes.

Ryan Landmann
    Palm Desert CA