Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Female and non gender specific plays

Posted 12-06-2017 12:48
    Hi! I am already thinking of next year's shows. I have almost all girls since so many of my boys are graduating. Any suggestions on female only plays as well as non gender specific heavy roles in plays would be much appreciated. What have you done in the past that has been a lot of fun. We are minimal on funding and will have a base of newer high school actors. 

Thank you! 

Kim Guadagnoli

------------------------------
    Kimberly Guadagnoli
    Colton CA

• 2.  RE: Female and non gender specific plays

Posted 12-07-2017 07:36
    ​Again, I vote for something storytell-ey like Arabian Nights (Dominic Cooke) or Metamorphoses (Mary Zimmerman) where the genders are a lot more flexible. We had lots of girls playing guy characters in Arabian Nights last year, but there are also great female roles. The Good Fight by Anne Bertram has lots of women, Triangle by Laurie Brooks is woman-heavy, These Shining Lives or Radium Girls. Decision Height by Meredith Dayna Levy is just nine women. Also check out Nick Hern Books for some more unusual offerings. I have all of their Platform/Tonic Theatre scripts which are designed to be large-cast and female-heavy. I'm planning to read those along with several of their woman-centric historical pieces this spring as I start picking for next year.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 3.  RE: Female and non gender specific plays

Posted 12-07-2017 11:16
    I've seen the play "Quilter" all female cast.  It was really great.  I also have done "Salem's Daughter".  It is an all female cast with great characterizations.

Pamela Evitts
    Teacher
    Lamar MO

• 4.  RE: Female and non gender specific plays

Posted 12-07-2017 19:12
    I attended an all-female high school, which (more often than not) did all-female plays. My personal favorites were Bertolt Brecht's Caucasian Chalk Circle, which is so abstract that no one cares what gender the characters are. Our entire production was done on a Kabuki-style stage (a hanamichi) with masks. And Diane Samuels' Kindertransport, which is a small-cast show; however, we ended up adding an entire ensemble that personified the protagonist's trauma. I have no idea if that concept worked -- but it sure was interesting to perform as a high school student.

I actually decided to enroll after seeing a phenomenal all-female Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead there. That production completely changed the way I viewed theatre. They're now leaning into more classical works (The Trojan WomenThe OdysseyThe Illusion, etc.), but they did just wrap up Laurie Brooks' Afflicted: Daughters of Salem, which I heard was excellent.

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 5.  RE: Female and non gender specific plays

Posted 12-08-2017 08:47
    Anton in Show Business.

Allison Collins