Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The Love for Three oranges

Posted 10-16-2017 10:38
    Hello Everyone! First, I would like to say that I am so glad I discovered this forum! I have been glued to my computer reading through as many discussion posts as I can! Your collective insight is truly amazing. I feel like I suddenly have a wealth of knowledge at my fingertips! 

Now, I am thinking of doing For the Love of Three Oranges as my spring play. I enjoy commedia dell'arte although I have never directed a production. Has anyone had any experience with this show? I will only have a handful of males, so I am hoping that some of the male roles could be played by females. I wasn't able to see any staging information. We are a relatively small school. Was this show fairly easy to stage? 

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Anne Elisa Brown
    Director of the MHS Drama Department
    Madison Central School District
    Madison SD

• 2.  RE: The Love for Three oranges

Posted 10-16-2017 13:08
    I directed this show many years ago with a class of very ambitious 6th graders. We were working off of a scenario rather than a script, so we devised the piece scene by scene, first figuring out the skeletal structure of what needed to happen, then adding character moments and lazzi. The kids memorized as they went. It was a wonderful experience in how to make theatre, and most of that group stuck with me and theatre all the way through 12th grade.

Because I was working with middle school kids who did not have a lot of experience in theatre, but who were very smart and willing to try anything, we did a lot of physical work and movement games to start each day, and incorporated a lot of it into our staging. The show was a huge hit--the audience loved the familiar fairy tale elements mixed with a few improvised jokes and details. I did talk to the audience beforehand to explain our devising process and to give a brief overview of what commedia is. Then the kids walked on stage and set everything up in front of the audience, as a commedia troupe might have done, while a few other kids from the class circulated through the audience, asking some planned questions. We had a few moments in the play where we knew we would use the audience input--but the parents were very impressed by that simple trick.

That was also a very small school, and although I think I had a few more boys than girls in that class, it is definitely the kind of play with roles that could be played by anyone. Best of luck to you!

Meg O'Connor
    theatre artist
    oconnormainstage.com

• 3.  RE: The Love for Three oranges

Posted 10-17-2017 08:53
    The Love of Three Oranges by Hillary DePiano is my favorite. Absolutely do it! Easy set, low-stress rehearsal experience, and we got a great response from the audience. I can’t wait to do the show again.

• 4.  RE: The Love for Three oranges

Posted 10-17-2017 09:26
    We did the Hillary DePiano version a couple of years ago. The high school kids and I absolutely loved it. One of the funniest and flexible shows we had ever done, and lots of opportunities to learn about commedia, movement, etc. The administration had issues with a couple of scenes, which was surprising to me and to the parents. 
    You're in my area, so if you want to know more, let me know!

Kathleen Tissot
    Brooklyn WI

• 5.  RE: The Love for Three oranges

Posted 11-28-2017 14:14
    Hi Kathleen, 
    I do have a couple of questions about "The Love of Three Oranges". I also have the Hillary DePiano script. It says that the run-time is 90-120 minutes. I am wondering why there is such a large range in the run-time. How long did your production run? Also, which parts did your administration have issues with? 

Did you create the big book for the backdrops? If so, do you happen to have any pictures of it? 

Thank you, 
    Anne Elisa Brown

Anne Elisa Brown
    Director of the MHS Drama Department
    Madison Central School District
    Madison, SD

• 6.  RE: The Love for Three oranges

Posted 11-29-2017 23:24
    I had a student that really wanted to create illustrations to project on a screen, so the "pages" of the book were projections. The rest of the set was extremely simple with set pieces that were easily moved on and off by the characters. The length of the play can vary based on how much improvised action you choose to use. Ours ran about 1 hour 45 minutes, with an intermission.

As for the admin objections...it was a weird year for us with an administrative change over that was ultra sensitive. The objections were to Creonta cursing god (even though she was struck dead shortly after), the sexual innuendo between the 2 evil henchmen...and really any of the innuendo. Parents were in total support and had no objections whatsoever, and the kids loved it. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

PS: One extra thing we did was have the ushers spray natural orange room freshener when the oranges were cut open. That was a big hit too.

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

Kathleen Tissot
    Brooklyn WI