Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Bombity of Errors?

Posted 05-23-2017 07:36
    Has anyone produced this show? How did it go? Did the students like it? Did it sell?
    I want to do a rap/hip hop show butIn The Heights is out of our range.

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 2.  RE: Bombity of Errors?

Posted 06-05-2017 12:44
    We did the show this spring in Salem, OR.
    The students really enjoyed it, and it drew students in to audition who would not usually have been involved in a more traditional musical production.
    Some other thoughts that veer a little more from your initial questions....
    The back section of the script offers suggested content/language edits to better align with community standards; we used most, but not all of those edits.
    Marketing a piece like this is key, as audiences weren't sure what to expect, In retrospect, I would have done more to prepare them. For example, some grandparents loved it; others frowned through much of it.
    We provided scene-by-scene summaries in the program to help audiences follow the stories, as they are somewhat lost behind the language and the beats.
    The provided accompanying tracks were excellent; we used those with the DJ on stage, though we did use Audacity and Q-lab to insert extra music where needed (the chase scene) and cut some sections to align with provided edits. It takes a skilled DJ/Sound person to get the timing right on starting the tracks, so rehearsal with that is essential.
    This does need a strong music director who can beat box and who can teach beatboxing, as it is pretty integral to several numbers. We were very fortunate that the local University A cappela group's beatboxer was available and he coached us and lead all-group warmups, which were incredible in thermselves. 
    My group took an excerpt of our show to the freestyle event at our State Conference and drew in students with a beatboxing circle as a warmup, which they treasure as a memory, too.
    Hope that helps.

Julianna Gibbons
    Salem OR