Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  stage floor

Posted 04-27-2017 10:00
    Our stage floor needs to be repainted. What is the best paint for the job? (I believe it is similar to plywood)

• 2.  RE: stage floor

Posted 04-28-2017 07:10
    I always use a porch and patio matte finish black. It's durable and the matte finish isn't shiny so it cuts down on the reflection of light.

------------------------------
    Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI

• 3.  RE: stage floor

Posted 04-28-2017 08:42
    I just took over a facility this year, and needed to paint the floor.  In college we used an exterior eggshell finish.  So I was going to go and just do that.  When I went to Home Depot to get the paint mixed, the guy working talked me into the porch and floor.

I'm very satisfied with it.  I do have some areas where the wood seems to have not taken the paint well, as when I put some spike tape down then pulled it up a few days later, some of the paint pulled up.

But porch and floor all the way!

Raymond Palasz
    Auditorium Director/Director of Theatre
    Schererville IN

• 4.  RE: stage floor

Posted 04-28-2017 08:54
    There are several paints to use out there...

When recommending an installation Paint we typically use Kote All Paint by Sophir Morris or Sherwin Williams, I cant remember which

Some people like to use the Rosco Tough Prime Black paint as well

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 5.  RE: stage floor

Posted 04-28-2017 09:02
    Rosco Tough Prime Black is all I use -- and I don't have the problem of spike tape pulling it up. It also blends well, so when you only have to repaint a small portion of your floor, it looks great -- like you repainted the whole thing!  Some latex paints don't blend well between sections.  
    Ron

• 6.  RE: stage floor

Posted 04-28-2017 10:35
    I'd recommend painting it at the end of the year so that it has all summer to cure. 

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 7.  RE: stage floor

Posted 05-01-2017 09:23
    I used Rosco Tough Prime but it did not work well at all!! The floor was sanded and prepared but it did not hold up.  I was repainting about once a week.  We changed to a Sherwin Williams marine deck paint and it has been great!

Linda Brown
    Theatrical Director/Instructor
    Mount St. Mary Catholic High School
    Oklahoma City OK

• 8.  RE: stage floor

Posted 04-28-2017 19:29

Search 'stage floor paint' in the search box on this site and you will find many recent discussion about this.

You seem unsure about the flooring material.  Depending upon the condition, it may be worth sanding it down a bit to level out the bumps before you attempt to refinish it.  This is a good time to patch any bad divots or splintering that may have occurred.  Small holes can be patched with 'Bondo' auto body compound.  Larger areas may require that a section of the floor be replaced.  Be observational about what material comes-up and replace it with a like material, otherwise you may end-up with a section of the floor that is noticeably different even after it is painted.  There are many different grades and lay-ups of plywood, tongue-n-groove wood, and tempered hardboard (aka 'Meso').

I see way too many floors that have an excessive paint build-up.  Just adding paint on top of paint does not make it last longer, it just makes it prettier.

Also, after you get it looking good again, please consider placing drop cloths down for shows where the floor needs a 'look' to it.  Don't just paint on the floor.  After the show the drop comes back up and you have a good looking floor.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 9.  RE: stage floor

Posted 04-29-2017 19:28
    I also use Rosco Tough Prime.  Excellent product.

Tracy Nunnally
    NIU - Professor/TD/Area Head
    Vertigo - Owner/System Designer
    ETCP Certified Rigger/Trainer
    DeKalb, Illinois