Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Playwright looking for advice on marketing

Posted 08-19-2017 17:13
    I have co-written a musical for middle school students about a teenage guardian angel who gives dubious help to a boy who fears he caused his parents’ divorce. It has been produced at about 13 locations,at middle schools, summer camps and children theaters. My question is, when is the best time of the year to approach drama teachers in middle school, asking them to review the materials for possible production? The package sent to them includes the script, a CD of the soundtrack, and a flash drive with mp3 files of the soundtrack. My second question is: Am I wasting money on flash drives? With everything going on files, do most teachers still have access to a CD player?

• 2.  RE: Playwright looking for advice on marketing

Posted 08-23-2017 07:53
    ​Good morning!!

Not sure if this will help but... maybe just to add to your considerations as you are looking into all of this...

I have written two plays in the past two years, and I published the music and the scripts through Amazon's Createspace. It is so wonderful because Createspace creates all the books and CDs for you, and the customers just order through Amazon.  You have no work to do...other than marketing (which I have failed miserably at). Oh! and because mine were location specific pieces, I also hired an actor with ACX that recorded dialogue in the different accents, so I would have a dialect CD to go with my productions. This is through Amazon too.

But I think the packages are great idea!! But to save some money on the flashdrives and/or CDs, you might want to consider some online file storage that you can share through email to those who are interested, like Dropbox?

------------------------------
    Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Statenville GA
    ------------------------------