Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The difference between art and design

Posted 02-20-2020 10:49
    Over the past thirty-odd years, when I show a set design to someone not working on the show (and sometimes to people who are), I often hear the comment, "wow, you're an artist." My usual response, simplified over the years, is to just say, "thank you, but I'm a designer, not an artist." This often results in two raised eyebrows, which tells me that a lot of people don't know that there's a difference.

Granted this isn't one of those things that you must know in order to survive in the world, but, since it's come up so often (just the other day in response to a prop I designed), I figured I'd do a post on my blog about the difference. A lot has been written about this, often from a subjective, almost defensive point of view, but the bottom-line difference is actually very simple. I thought the post might be useful to some of you who teach set or costume design, so here's the link:

https://setdesignandtech.wordpress.com/2020/02/17/the-difference-between-art-and-design/

------------------------------
    George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 2.  RE: The difference between art and design

Posted 02-21-2020 12:04
    after reading your posts for years here... I went to your website.  Some great stuff in there about design and being part of the storytelling process.

thanks man!

[Drama] [Dan] []
    [Drama Teacher/Director]
    [Dublin Coffman HS]
    [Dublin] [Ohio]

• 3.  RE: The difference between art and design

Posted 02-21-2020 15:16
    Thanks, Daniel. I'm glad you found the material useful.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net