Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  imput on some play ideas.

Posted 06-07-2017 07:27

Hey hive mind. Going into 20th year and I am looking for some good play ideas. For some reason I am struggling this year choosing a fall show for the upcoming school year. In the past we have done all the standards (Radium Girls, Shakespeare, Diviners, Agatha Christie, etc) But looking for something different. Not real strong male or female leads coming up more ensemble maybe. About equal parts....any suggestions would help.....thanks

Mr. Damian Grzeskowiak

English & Theatre Dept.

Arts in Education 6-12

MWCSD

585-554-6441, 1310

• 2.  RE: imput on some play ideas.

Posted 06-07-2017 10:21
    Reviving Ophelia is a great coming of age ensemble show that my students really loved. No one lead, but 4 girls are the main characters. It's a full-length play in one act (no intermission) with a simple set and flexible cast (7-16 actors). I also really liked that it allowed many of my students to play characters their own age, which I think is important. It's available through Dramatic Publishing.

------------------------------
    Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 3.  RE: imput on some play ideas.

Posted 06-08-2017 06:56
    May I suggest Acts of God by Mark Rigney. Great ensemble piece with kids playing their own ages. Playscripts has the script so you can read some of it online. Warning--the first time reading it didn't immediately pull me or the kids in-- but I followed another teacher's recommendation to trust the material, and very soon, it took on a wonderful life of its own and really drew the kids together.

Sent from my iPad

• 4.  RE: imput on some play ideas.

Posted 06-08-2017 07:23
    I like big casts for my plays and they are hard to find. 
    Here are some that were very successful...
    The Night of January 16th
    13 Past Midnight
    Up the Down Staircase
    A Christmas Carol
    The Lady Cries Murder
    Anne of Green Gables
    Murder at the OK Corral
    (I was into murder mysteries for a hot second)

All great shows with bigger casts. 
    :) Angie

• 5.  RE: imput on some play ideas.

Posted 06-08-2017 10:45
    Ther is a very cool show I discovered that I may be using for my fall play. It is just as you described: something different and ensemble driven. It is called Failure:A Love Story. It is written by Philip Dawkins and is held by Playscripts. You can read the whole script free right now on their website. It takes place in the 20's and is about the death of the Fail sisters. They own a clock shop and whole cast becomes the ticking clocks when in that scene. One of the sisters is practicing to swim across Lake Superior by swimming on a rolling chair in their house above the clock shop. A cast member plays their dog and their snake.....very intriguing.

Sent from my iPad

• 6.  RE: imput on some play ideas.

Posted 06-09-2017 10:41
    I created the Milken Playwriting Prize for the best play written for teens to perform, with a large cast with a majority of female roles. $2,000, a full production and the playwright in residence.

The most recent winner is MERRY MEN by Kemuel DeMoville. I would be happy to get you a copy of the script.

I also have a popular play, a comedy with audience participation via cue cards -- TITANIC: LIVE! -- that parodies the movie. Let me know if you want to see a copy.

You can find out more about the Milken Playwriting Prize here: milkenschool.org/playprize

• 7.  RE: imput on some play ideas.

Posted 06-09-2017 10:04
    This past fall my school put on the show Infinite Black Suitcase, which is a drama that requires a rather large cast. There aren't any major leads, for the most part all of the roles are equal. Another option may be Rumors, a comedy about a dinner party that goes terribly wrong. All in the Timing is another good one, it consists of multiple one acts (all written by David Ives) that all have one common theme: timing. Hope this helps!

Audrey Forman
    Hope Mills NC

• 8.  RE: imput on some play ideas.

Posted 06-10-2017 13:49
    Some that have been around and some that are new:

Two Vietnam plays:
    Vietnam 101:The War on Campus
    by Rich Orloff (Playscripts)
    A Piece of My Heart by Shirley Lauro (Samuel French)

Also, Museum by Tina Howe (Samuel French)
     In Our Own Backyard by Rachel Lopez (Eldridge)

Susan Davis
    RETIRED!! Teacher
    Napa Valley Unified School District
    Napa CA

• 9.  RE: imput on some play ideas.

Posted 06-11-2017 09:45

I would like to suggest Women and War by Jack Hilton Cunningham.  Samuel French carries the script.  The full length is written as reader's theatre,but the one-act provides blocking for a fully staged production.  

Among Friends and Clutter by Lindsay Price is another one I'd look at.  Theatrefolk carries this one.  

Wishing you the best!

Carolyn