Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Licensing for Main Stage shows at ITF

Posted 01-31-2020 13:59
    Hi,

I've scanned the ITF site but I didn't see who pays for the rights for the shows that are presented on the mainstage at ITF.  Is it the the school or ITF?  And if it's the school how many people are in the audience so we know how to estimate the cost?  

Thanks!

Penelope Haskew
    360-298-4008

• 2.  RE: Licensing for Main Stage shows at ITF

Posted 02-01-2020 04:54
    Hi, the school or your program is responsible for paying. Many of the publishing houses will waive the fee however. After all you will be showcasing their property to thousands of potential customers so just so them. Also, If you do a remount or send off performace in your own school, you'll be responsible for those royalties as well. Also festival does reimburse $2500 worth of expenses.

Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: Licensing for Main Stage shows at ITF

Posted 02-02-2020 01:17
    Definitely talk to the publisher.  When we performed at our state festival, I learned that many of the publishers have a "festival rate" that was a small flat fee for performing at festival.

------------------------------
    Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 4.  RE: Licensing for Main Stage shows at ITF

Posted 02-03-2020 09:18
    You are responsible for paying the rights. You will get a reimbursement from ITF for some of your costs associated with bringing the show, and they should give you all of that information in a packet via email. I think the waiving of fees depends on the publisher. When we brought a Dramatists show I inquired about waiving the royalty and they told me no. I had to pay for the rights. So I just wanted to chime in to say don't get your hopes up on having the fee waived. I was also told that publishers will waive the fee, but that wasn't my experience when I emailed them. I suppose it could also depend on who you ask at the publishing company. Break-a-leg!

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    Louisiana Co-Chapter Director