Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Help for a small cast show

Posted 07-27-2017 19:07
    Hello everyone. I have a unique group of kids this year - maybe 3 guys (none of whom are the leading man type) and maybe 8-10 girls. I don't have to cast all the girls. I really thought the process of picking a smaller cast would be simpler but I'm having such a hard time given my unique demographic. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was looking at the Female Odd Couple but it seems a bit dated and not quite right and I was also looking at The Art of Dining by Tina Howe but the set and props seem absolutely impossible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my iPad

• 2.  RE: Help for a small cast show

Posted 07-27-2017 22:37
    Do you have any specific requirements? Comedy, drama, full-length or one act?

A few possibilities:
    Doublewide, Texas 6w, 3m The women carry the show, but the men's roles are a lot of fun - a good-looking, arrogant schemer; a good-natured good ol' boy; and a crotchety old man. It's rather silly, but very funny.

Dark Road 8w, 3m, with the ability to add more. A young woman takes a job as a guard at Ravensbruck and loses her soul to Nazi beliefs. A one act with a punch.

The Insanity of Mary Girard 4w, 3m, could add more to the chorus. in the 1790s, a woman is declared insane by her unfaithful husband.

WIley and the Hairy Man large cast - many of the roles can be gender-neutral. A folk tale with lots of wonderful ensemble work.

------------------------------
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 3.  RE: Help for a small cast show

Posted 07-28-2017 11:46
    Thanks for your suggestions! I will check them out. I am looking for a full length play, preferably on the lighter side. Again, thanks so much!

Pauline Maranian
    Costa Mesa CA

• 4.  RE: Help for a small cast show

Posted 07-28-2017 10:40
    I've done "My Gun Is Pink" with a similar group. It's a fun little spoof on 40's detective movies.

Another silly one is "Chickenheart". This one is a melodrama set in a convent in medieval times. The villain is attempting to foreclose on the convent. The unlikely hero is a tailor and the heroine is sweet rich girl.

Ellen

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 5.  RE: Help for a small cast show

Posted 07-28-2017 19:12
    Samuel French ought to give me a free script or two for suggesting this so often, but I recommend "Play On" by Rick Abbot.  Really simple set that is supposed to look a little shoddy.  Three males, 7 females.  We did the play within a play with British accents.  Totally enjoyable farce.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC