Open Forum

View Only

How much do you charge for rent?

• 1.  How much do you charge for rent?

Posted 09-06-2018 16:39
    Hello,

I've had a request from a neighboring school to rent the bench we used in "Almost, Maine".  What is a fair price to charge?  First time I've ever been asked this.  

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Derek Friederich
    Thespian Troupe 417/Speech Coach/Jr. High Drama/Fine Arts Center Technical Director
    Postville IA

• 2.  RE: How much do you charge for rent?

Posted 09-07-2018 06:13
    I suggest lending instead of renting, this allows you to see what they might have to allow you a 2 way street of lending, make sure that you state if items can be altered or painted to the borrower.

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 3.  RE: How much do you charge for rent?

Posted 09-07-2018 06:23
    I make the receiving school pay insured shipping both ways.  I agree that loaning stuff is the way to go.

Tobin Strader
    Visual and Performing Arts Department Chair,
    Theatre Arts Instructor
    Brebeuf Jesuit Preparatory School,
    Indianapolis, IN

• 4.  RE: How much do you charge for rent?

Posted 09-07-2018 06:52
    I was taught once to rent for 25% of what it cost you to build it. That way, if you rent it four times it is a wash.

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 5.  RE: How much do you charge for rent?

Posted 09-07-2018 07:24
    If it's just a bench, I recommend loaning it on good faith, no charge. 
    It's nice to loan smaller props and things in your theatre community to build relationships. You never know when you will need something and that favor is returned! 
    ~Angie

• 6.  RE: How much do you charge for rent?

Posted 09-08-2018 18:22
    this

• 7.  RE: How much do you charge for rent?

Posted 09-07-2018 08:00
    I would not charge them anything because it will not cost you anything and it is not going to get worn out with them using it. Besides, they may have something you would like to borrow for a show sometime. :)

--
    Ann Hileman, M.A.
    Executive Board of Indiana Thespians
    Indiana Thespian Hall of Fame

Maconaquah High School
    256 East 800 South
    Bunker Hill, IN 46914
    765-689-9131 x 5550 (phone)
    765-689-9528 (fax)

• 8.  RE: How much do you charge for rent?

Posted 09-07-2018 09:07
    When it's for other educational purposes and organizations we always just loan items. The hope being that others will loan to us when we are in need as well. We have loaned full sets, furniture, costumes, props, and all kinds of other items. Here is the text of a borrowing agreement we ask groups to sign:

Arnold High School Theatre Borrowing Agreement

I ______________________ as a representative of ___________________

agree to borrow _____________________________________________________

From ______________ to _______________

From the Arnold High School Theatre Department under the following conditions:

All items will be returned in the condition which I borrowed them and I will assume responsibility for the safe and appropriate use of the borrowed item(s).  No item(s) will be altered without written permission.

The item(s) will also be returned promptly by the date above at an agreed upon time and date that I will arrange with a representative from Arnold High School Theatre. If the item(s) can be cleaned (such as costumes) it will be appropriately cleaned prior to return including specialized cleaning if necessary (i.e. dry cleaning or hand washing) per instructions provided to me.

Should any item be damaged or destroyed I assure repair or replacement will be paid in a check issued to Arnold High School and given to the Arnold Theatre Sponsor in whatever amount the Theatre Sponsor and I agree is appropriate based on the time, supplies, and specific items needed to correct the damage or purchase or create a replacement.

I understand that the above item(s) I am borrowing has a face value of __________________________ and additionally represents hours of creative and construction time, and these values will be a base for determining replacement and repair. I understand that this item was purchased, acquired, and/or created by the Arnold High School Theatre Department through the hard work and fundraising of students and volunteers, and holds great value to them, as a result I will be cautious, respectful, and follow all directions for using the item(s).

Most importantly I release from responsibility and hold harmless Arnold High School, it's theatre students, sponsors, and volunteers from any and all injuries, damage to others and their property, and all other incidents or charges resulting from any situation that takes place in, on, or around the item(s) I am borrowing. Arnold High School Theatre is not responsible for my safe, appropriate, and accurate use of this item(s) and I assume all responsibility in signing that I agree to borrow this item(s).

I also agree that everyone using this item(s) is covered by insurance that includes use of the item(s) I am borrowing.

Representative's Signature___________________________ Date_________________________

Phone  #'s       Home (_____)____________________ Work (______)____________________ Cell (_____)______________________

Arnold High School Theatre Representative Signature_____________________________________________________________

Name_____________________________________________________________________________________ Date_________________________

Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Program Director
    Arnold High School Theatre
    Thespian Troupe 6371
    Panama City Beach, FL

District 10 Chair & State Logistics
    Florida State Junior Thespians

Board Member
    Membership Committee Chair
    Florida Association for Theatre Education

• 9.  RE: How much do you charge for rent?

Posted 09-07-2018 10:28
    You could just lend it to them and thus establish a future place to borrow from; let them know, that’s what you are hoping.

Maria Stadtmueller
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

• 10.  RE: How much do you charge for rent?

Posted 09-07-2018 13:12
    Thanks for the replies!

I was leaning towards the lending route, however the person who asked specifically asked me about renting it.  Of course, now they changed their mind and are making other arrangements.  I think they realized that driving 2hrs one way to get a bench wasn't the most fruitful endeavor.

Derek Friederich
    Thespian Troupe 417/Speech Coach/Jr. High Drama/Fine Arts Center Technical Director
    Postville IA

• 11.  RE: How much do you charge for rent?

Posted 09-07-2018 14:02
    ​Good afternoon all,

We lead and borrow. You would not believe how far this can go when dealing with smaller items. Now if it is a full set, we rent for 20% of what the build cost was and require the renter to pick it up and return it.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 12.  RE: How much do you charge for rent?

Posted 09-08-2018 12:33
    I think that renting for a nominal price gives the transaction some weight. Money means things in our society. The local regional theatre would rent pieces for $5-$10 each. 

After you have established trust with other programs you can lend, you know they will take care of your pieces.

John Perry
    Retired Theatre Teacher

• 13.  RE: How much do you charge for rent?

Posted 09-08-2018 18:38
    I agree 100%about loaning vs.rental.  The receiving school should do the pick up and return promptly at a time convenient to you.  All we can do to create community and support each other makes us all better!

Nell Lynch

• 14.  RE: How much do you charge for rent?

Posted 09-09-2018 10:05
    We loan items (usually costumes) but ask for a $50 refundable deposit (usually a check we don't cash) in case not all items are returned, or items are ruined. If all is well, we hand the check back when the items are returned, dry cleaned or washed. It takes a great deal of time to locate, gather and re stock, so we do a minimal charge for each item (far below the costume suppliers). That money is considered a donation, and goes toward the upkeep of the space, laundry, etc.
    I think loaning items is great, however, in the past, I have seen items borrowed and never returned. Placing a small fee makes the exchange more serious.

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio