Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Full Length Comedy

Posted 08-20-2018 22:30
    I am looking for a full length comedy, for a female heavy cast. I have ready many scripts, and I haven't fallen in love with anything yet. We did Fools by Neil Simon a few years ago, and the audience/cast loved it. Unfortunately, everything else I have read by Neil Simon has male leads and/or is not appropriate for our conservative community.

I welcome all suggestions! Thank you!

------------------------------
    Michelle Salazar
    Teacher
    Sahuarita AZ

• 2.  RE: Full Length Comedy

Posted 08-20-2018 22:44
    I was in the same predicament last year: trying to find a vehicle for all of the funny young women in our school and community.

We settled on "It Happens Every Summer" by David Rogers : large female cast, with plenty of comedic roles for those who like the spotlight and for those who want to dip their toes a bit into stage comedy. The script itself is okay, and plays out like a typical rom-com, but the 1960s setting (the play is like a blend of Mad Men and Devil Wears Prada, but funny) was fun to watch the kids dig into.

https://www.dramaticpublishing.com/it-happens-every-summer

jared

Jared Griffin, Ph.D., M.Ed.
    Coach, KHS and KMS Drama Clubs
    KODIAK AK

• 3.  RE: Full Length Comedy

Posted 08-21-2018 09:21
    A few years ago I had a group of really strong girls and directed Christmas Belles by Jesse Jones, Nicholas Hope and Jamie Wooten.  Since then I have learned that it is part of a trilogy that also includes Dearly Beloved, and Southern Hospitality and they follow the fate of the Futrelle sister who love their small southern town of Fayro Texas but always seems to be in one hilarious conflict after another.  The cast sizes range from 10-13 with 7-8 female parts. 

Break a leg!

Marla Blasko
    Director/Teacher Theatre Arts
    Long Reach High School
    Columbia, Maryland

• 4.  RE: Full Length Comedy

Posted 08-21-2018 09:31
    My daughter was in a female version of The Odd Couple by Neil Simon, called The Odd Couple (female version). Apparently, it was written by Simon himself. There are two male and six female parts. Samuel French has it. Oh, and it was quite funny!

Annemarie Bean
    Long Trail School
    Dorset VT
    abean@longtrailschool.org

• 5.  RE: Full Length Comedy

Posted 08-21-2018 11:11
    Have you thought about The Birds? Don Zolidis has a fun version (I think it's through Playscripts) you might look at. Another option is do expand the cast for The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged). I know a lot of people have had great success with this.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 6.  RE: Full Length Comedy

Posted 08-21-2018 17:16
    Thank you for all of your suggestions! I will definitely look into these. :)

Michelle Salazar
    Teacher
    Sahuarita AZ

• 7.  RE: Full Length Comedy

Posted 08-22-2018 06:38
    Rescuing Dreamwood available at Eldridge Plays (histage.com) only requires 1 boy technically to play the male lead. All others could be played by girls playing boys.