Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Bubbles!!

Posted 01-13-2017 09:07
    Hi everyone,

I am considering using bubbles as an effect for The Little Mermaid Jr. 
    I'm very concerned about the residue/stickyness and managing clean up after every show. 
    Anyone use bubbles and have had success? Tips or suggestions?

--
    Erika Trahan
    Kaplan High School
    Speech and Theatre

• 2.  RE: Bubbles!!

Posted 01-14-2017 07:46
    We used a bubble machine for the fizzy-lifting drink scene in Wonka.  We had no problems at all.  I think you would have to use a very large quantity to have a problem with residue on stage.

------------------------------
    Kristen Statt
    Thunderhawk Theater Director
    Lakota East High School
    Liberty Twp, OH
    Kristen.statt@lakotaonline.com

• 3.  RE: Bubbles!!

Posted 01-14-2017 08:30
    I used bubbles for Seussical. We used Froggy's high color bubbles. We had to direct the bubble machines high, so the bubbles went up and then floated down. When we had them shooting straight out, they ended up in a big cluster and then it got sticky/ slippery. When they shot up first, they sort of floated around and hit the stage at different times and dried up before the next bubble hit that spot. Honestly, we didn't even have to mop afterward. Hope this helps.

• 4.  RE: Bubbles!!

Posted 04-23-2018 05:23
    First off yes bubble machines are fun 
    second if you have slippery floors you are doing several things Wrong 

using the cheap bubble juice 
    not using hot air 
    not using a fan to blow them upwards 

the right bubble juice - most toy stores and most of the party rental places use the cheap stuff! the better quality bubble juice will pop on contact and wont leave a residue. if I am not mistaken you can also use organic bubble juice made from sugar I believe. this way its non toxic and non slippery 

using hot air bubble machines will have your bubbles floating a lot longer and then popping in air thus no residue build up on the floor 

if you use the cheap stuff ok then what-- get a fan that you can tilt the direction of the flow of air and put it out in front of you or off to the side pointing upwards at an angle - this will shoot the bubble back up in to the air thus they wont land on the floor. 

bubble are great and lots of fun for kids with out question!! 

hope this info helps you out 

have fun 

Danna Well
    Moscow ID

• 5.  RE: Bubbles!!

Posted 04-24-2018 09:10
    We just did The Little Mermaid-we used bubble machines-but we hung them from our catwalks and had them float down into the audience-everyone loved it and it kept our stage clean. I had a machine on the left and the right side and a 2 techies with bubble guns walk along the catwalks back and forth. The more expensive bubbles will not leave any residue on stage, but they are so thin they can be hard to see.-We used the expensive ones during dress rehearsal and most popped before reaching anyone so we got the cheap stuff-thicker bubbles-made it all the way down and not an issue since they popped on people instead of onstage. Hope this helps!

Carina Stiles
    Theatre Teacher
    Phoenix AZ

• 6.  RE: Bubbles!!

Posted 04-25-2018 18:37
    ​I have used the Froggy juice as well. Very effective with very little residue.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School