Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Creative Staging

Posted 08-30-2018 12:51
    Send me your best script suggestions that deliver opportunities for creative staging, movement, physicality, storytelling.

I'll put forth Mary Zimmerman's plays, Arabian Nights, and Anon(ymous).

Scripts I've read that seem to have this potential include The Old Man and the Old Moon, Monster (Don Zolidas), Shuddersome (Lindsay Price), Peter and Wendy, Wilde Tales (both by Jeremy Bloom).

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 2.  RE: Creative Staging

Posted 08-30-2018 13:03
    I was involved with a production of Sondheim's ASSASSINS that was staged in an inverted round - the audience sat in the middle of the black box on swivel stools and the cast played all around them in a "circle of violence" themed production.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: Creative Staging

Posted 08-30-2018 16:46
    How about Wiley and the Hairy Man?  Also, as I'm currently doing prep work for a production of Disney's Hunchback of Notre Dame, I will offer that there's a lot of presentational (almost forensics-y) moments--group narration, self-narration, people as objects and the like.

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 4.  RE: Creative Staging

Posted 08-30-2018 16:59
    I was able to do some really interesting things with "And" by Alan Haenel. You might also look at "Too Much Light Makes The Baby Do Blind". That's such an interesting piece on its own that it begs for something like this.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Creative Staging

Posted 09-03-2018 14:55
    Kate Hamill's "Sense and Sensibility" -- really great use of movement/creative staging in the Bedlam production. Also Austen: Matthew Francis's "Northanger Abbey" adaptation has lots of dancing as well as travelling on carriages, and the potential for gothic creepy shadow movement.

In a totally different style, and a totally different kind of movement, "The Wolves" by Sarah DeLappe.

Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ

• 6.  RE: Creative Staging

Posted 09-04-2018 06:47
    Thought of a couple more:
    Joan Aiken's "The Wolves of Willoughby Chase" adapted by Russ Tunney
    "Monkey! (A Tale from China)" by Colin Teevan

Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ