Open Forum

View Only

First-Time Musical Production?

• 1.  First-Time Musical Production?

Posted 03-11-2017 08:51
    I'm considering a musical for next year's performance as I have had many of my kids ask to do something different, and a musical hasn't been performed at our school in YEARS, before many of them were even in high school. My question is has anyone performed a musical when you do not a choreographer, musical director, etc on staff? We are an extremely low budget school, and I am the only faculty member that specifically works with the theatre, unless a teacher volunteers to assist. What do you do to combat these issues? I'm considering pulling in several areas of our student body, such as the dance team and cheerleaders, for many of the areas that the theatre students can't physically do such as dancing (and cheering as this musical actually includes it). I'm evening thinking about using our school' full band or jazz band at the discretion of the band director to make the performance nights an event for both departments. So any other ideas? Would you suggest going this route or doing a traditional play due to lack of specialized personnel? 

------------------------------
    Marah Davis
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Leakesville MS

• 2.  RE: First-Time Musical Production?

Posted 03-11-2017 16:55
    My advise is to start small with a show you can do with piano accompaniment only, such as The Fantasticks or piano, base & drum, like You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown. Neither require much in regards to choreography. Not sure of your vocal teaching capabilities, but both of the shows fall into the "easier" category in that regard as well. There are other tiles to consider, but those two came to mind. Once you prove it can be done, you can build from there. The sky is the limit. Break a leg!

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Hawaii Independent Schools
    Honolulu, HI

• 3.  RE: First-Time Musical Production?

Posted 03-13-2017 00:18
    Your situation is just about identical to mine except my school had NEVER done a musical. We started from scratch.
    I think your best bet would be to go with a show that has the musical available via background tracks. For us, having the background tracks really helped the kids feel more "professional". There are several on pioneerdrama.com (which is where we got our first musical OZ! by Tim Kelly). The show is obviously the Wizard of Oz with different music (the music was wonderful!!)
    Our shows were done with MTI Jr. shows (mtishows.com). For approximately $500-$600 you get all your books, music, etc. It was a perfect fit for us! No musicians required!!
    Even though the shows were "Jr" versions, we didn't treat them like junior shows - we embellished wherever we could!!
    I'd be happy to visit with you about any of this. You're a step ahead already with the kids being excited to do a musical.
    Good Luck!!
    Connie Sandoz
    Waxahachie, TX
    Retired Theatre Director
    Henderson, NV

• 4.  RE: First-Time Musical Production?

Posted 03-12-2017 10:06
    I would suggest trying out a Jr. production. They are so wonderful! They come with accompaniment CDs, choreography DVDs, suggestions for easy set design, prop lists, they simplify harmonies (3 instead of 4 or 5 parts)...etc. It is a great transition from play to musical. Full musicals are a crazy undertaking. We have been doing musicals for years and we still sometimes pick jrs on years that are particularly crazy. They are only an "hour" (more like 75 minutes) so it's easier to perfect. They have great titles like Legally Blonde, Beauty and the Beast, Guys and Dolls, Elf, Fame, High School Musical- and more! 

Brooke Jackson

• 5.  RE: First-Time Musical Production?

Posted 03-12-2017 12:36
    If you have strong vocalist you might consider Into The Woods. Backdrops can be used. You can also purchase the digital orchestration, no need for a pit orchestra and you can use if for rehearsal and performers can use it as well at home to prepare. There are other shows that might fit your situation, you can check it out here -  OrchExtra®

Jeannie Brzovic
    Lake Forest Park WA

• 6.  RE: First-Time Musical Production?

Posted 03-12-2017 23:23

The collaborative Arts Dept event worked well for me in my first school.  The visual arts teacher and his students did the scene painting, and the band/choral director put together a pit band for Brigadoon the first year I was there, and My Fair Lady the second.  It was a fairly rural school without a lot of resources devoted to the arts.

At my next school, also rural and low wealth, no one wanted to collaborate, but there happened to be a lovely woman in the community who could play the score of a musical very well.  She volunteered to come a couple of days a week to work with us, and she was the only musical accompaniment.  In the eight years I was there, we only did two musicals, and only when we happened to have a lot of singers.

The shows in both of those schools were extracurricular. 
    At my current school, we do a musical every other spring in a cluster of theatre and vocal music classes that meet together.  Our choral director directs the music and plays piano for the shows.  I direct and serve as technical director.  We commit to casting every student, excepting a stage manager and asst. stage manager, so we have to choose shows with a large, flexible company.  We do use paid choreographers some years, but we often have a student who is up to the challenge.

I think it is probably wise to take stock of the resources available to you before choosing a show.  Ask the students if there is a local person with experience playing from a conductor's score who might be willing to work with you.  Ask your faculty members.  Find out if any of your students have had multiple years of dance and might be interested in choreographing the show.  If those other arts teachers are really on board, it could be a great experience, provided you divide up responsibilities very carefully before you start rehearsal.

I like large cast shows because I can assign understudies, and the less experienced actors improve their skills while being part of something big.  Some large cast shows that we have had great fun with include Once Upon a Mattress, Back to the 80s, and Changing Minds.

Good luck.

• 7.  RE: First-Time Musical Production?

Posted 03-13-2017 11:21
    Last year I did my first musical, and I chose Little Shop of Horrors. Great show for getting my feet wet. The music isn't very complicated for singers or musicians, and can easily be accompanied by just a piano, drummer, and guitarist if you're low on musicians. The set was a build it and forget it sort of situation. We made a 24x16 foot flower shop center stage and two front apartment stoops stage L and R. This is also a pretty stage crew limited show as there are no major scenes changes except for the dentist office, which we did on a very simple 8x4 wagon played in front of one of our traveler curtains. The biggest challenge is the plant puppets, but they can be rented and the puppets from company we used (Swazzle) were very easy to assemble and operate.

Rachel Snow
    Drama and Technical Theater Teacher
    Alhambra High School
    Alhambra CA

• 8.  RE: First-Time Musical Production?

Posted 03-14-2017 10:41
    For somebody in your position with no music director and no choreographer I would really recommend either MTI's Broadway Junior Series or Rogers and Hammerstein's Getting to Know You Series. In fact more and more companies are providing shows specifically for schools like yours that don't always have the resources of a full performing arts program.  They provide everything you need as a first time director, from staging notes and prop and costume lists, to choreography videos to full musical backing tracks. They really do take a lot of the stress out of producing for first time teachers, and they both have an array of popular titles that will help build interest in your program (MTI includes Beauty and the Beast, Fiddler on the Roof and The Music Man. Roger and Hammerstein of course includes The Sound of Music, The King and I and Cinderella

And as others have said, don't be too put off by the "Junior" thing. All of the best material is usually left completely in tact and only occasionally adapted for student voices. The shows are a bit shorter and in my opinion, a few of the shows (Seussical, Les Miz) are actually improved by the editing. 

John Monteverde
    Drama Teacher
    Pittsfield High School
    Pittsfield, MA

• 9.  RE: First-Time Musical Production?

Posted 03-15-2017 09:50
    I have produced several musicals by myself as we do not have a staff either. You can do it. 
    The MTI Junior series is very approachable, they come with vocal track CDs and accompaniment CDs and often choreography DVDs to help you out. The kids get to keep the scripts, so there's nothing to return at the end of the production, and the junior editions cost less than the full editions. 

Also, TRW - Home - Theatrical Rights Worldwide online
    Theatrical Rights Worldwide online remove preview
    Home - Theatrical Rights Worldwide online
    Theatrical Rights Worldwide is the exclusive agent for SPAMALOT, ALL SHOOK UP, CURTAINS, THE COLOR PURPLE, RING OF FIRE, MEMPHIS, THE ADDAMS FAMILY & more!
    View this on Theatrical Rights Worldwide online >
    has a ton of great well known shows and they have many similar benefits as MTI juniors,including an Apple app for all the music. It helps you customize the vocals to your specific needs.

But! I would encourage you to first talk to your music department. Maybe someone is interested in volunteering to help you.

Hillary Bogers
    Fayetteville NC

• 10.  RE: First-Time Musical Production?

Posted 03-15-2017 10:06
    Coming from a similar situation - small school, a one-person drama staff, etc.  But with all of those obstacles we have done some GREAT musicals!  I highly recommend "Dear Edwina".  Flexible sets, flexible casting, little to no dancing, accompaniment is one piano, yet the script is good and the songs are funny, quirky, and easy to learn. 

LuCinda Lounge
    Theatre Director
    Burlington CO

• 11.  RE: First-Time Musical Production?

Posted 03-15-2017 13:44
    I agree with the previous posters that it's easiest to start out with a show that includes pre-recorded performance tracks and other resources!

At Tams-Witmark, we worked with iTheatrics to create our Young Performers Edition (YPE) series, which currently includes ANYTHING GOES, BYE BYE BIRDIE, CRAZY FOR YOU, and THE WIZARD OF OZ (coming soon... 42ND STREET!). Each show in the YPE series runs about an hour and includes: sing-along tracks for rehearsal, musical backing tracks for performance, a choreography DVD, a Production Guide for teachers, 30 Young Performers’ Books for students, and 1 Piano/Vocal Score. It's really the full package, and the production guide will really help you through every step of the process.

We've licensed thousands of productions of these YPE shows, and schools around the country have been thrilled with them.

Hope you find the show that best fits your school's needs!

Jim Colleran
    Tams-Witmark
    New York, NY
    www.tamswitmark.com

• 12.  RE: First-Time Musical Production?

Posted 03-16-2017 08:54
    We did Bye Bye Birdie two years ago with tracks for our small school's first musical.  I feel like I could not have done this without an ally.  The history teacher/cheer coach was in it in HS and helped with the choreography, and I had a friend who came and did some vocal direction for very little money.  I had a lot of the faculty play the adults, and it was an all-school audition.  This made it possible for me to actually have a night or two off from rehearsals when I was under the weather as the colleagues stepped up and ran rehearsals 

We are doing another musical this year (Curtains) but I hired a parent who has a degree in voice to come be our vocal director. It was the only way to do a musical justice. I have way less faculty involvement this time but a couple have cameo roles. This helps get the students excited about coming to see their teachers and they are helping shift scenery backstage and keep the kids in line.  

A lot of people told me to do a small show my first time, but I honestly feel the big show was the better experience for us all.  We sold out both nights and it had more buzz in the community. It gave younger students a chance to be in something more than a one act before their junior year (advanced) and those kids who were freshmen then now know what needs to happen for our current show to be successful. 
    Best wishes on your production!

Debbie MacKinney
    Theatre Teacher, CTE Technical Theater, Troupe 7334 Advisor
    Tanque Verde Unified School District
    Tucson AZ

• 13.  RE: First-Time Musical Production?

Posted 03-17-2017 15:53
    Kudos to Debbie MacKinney!! Totally agree and that's what we did. I never wanted the musical to appear to be a "junior" version or something not as "professional" so we embellished and had big dance numbers, great costumes, etc. We had sold out shows for our first show in 2008 and sold out shows ever since! People were amazed at what we did and couldn't wait for the next one. I've also used faculty in cameo/walk on roles.
    Word of Warning: producing fantabulous musicals keeps them coming back and wanting bigger and better!! (which we love in our world!) So be prepared :)

Connie Sandoz, Retired
    Waxahachie
    Theatre Director
    Henderson, NV

• 14.  RE: First-Time Musical Production?

Posted 03-25-2017 20:16
    Which musical are you thinking of doing that includes cheer? I would say if it's your first musical stick with something simple like The Fantastiks. My first show was The Wiz but I had a ton of adults helping me including a music director and a choreographer. A junior version would be easy, but I have found at the high school level, it's a little too easy.

---------------------------------
    Carolyn Little
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education
    Beachwood NJ
    ---------------------------------