Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  30th Anniversary

Posted 04-03-2018 13:10
    Hello Thespians!

We are celebrating our Thespian troupe's 30th Anniversary this month!  We are holding a small reception type affair for our alumni and current students to make connections and help to establish a stronger support network for the students to make post high school.  

Our plan at the reception is to:
    - have old yearbooks out for everyone to peruse
    -  a place where stories can be shared
    - a welcome and a summary of the last 30 years' accomplishments
    -Group photo
    -Cake and punch

Has anyone else done this before?  Have any additional ideas?  We would love more ideas!

Thank you again!

------------------------------
    Teri Turner
    Missouri

• 2.  RE: 30th Anniversary

Posted 04-03-2018 13:23
    Have you thought of creating a video collage including pictures and/or video clips of productions and events? We do this for our seniors on our Inductions, Honors and Awards night and the kids love seeing the pictures from their past.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: 30th Anniversary

Posted 04-04-2018 10:59
    This idea takes organization and is a hit if you have Alums to help.. we brought back Alums from as many of our past musicals to do solos or small groups to perform concert selections. Each alum told their journey from graduation to their present day, and how being a Thespian helped them succeed.

Gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    Gai@gaijones.com
    Www.gaijones.com

• 4.  RE: 30th Anniversary

Posted 04-04-2018 22:25
    We do a Drama Alumni Year every 5th anniversary. So almost all our current kids are around but in various years for the Alumni year. Later, we talk about where they will be for the next alumni year(HS, College, x-years out of college).
    We invite our Drama Alumni to sing in the Talent Show any songs from any shows they were in, a few months before the dinner. We invite them to have a cameo in that year’s play, as their old character. We invite them to get involved by working on our show that year (sometimes they come back other years too).
    At the year end dinner, we invite them to do readings during the induction, we recap some of our shows, and show a slide presentation of the past shows (separate from the one we show each year of that year’s show). At the dinner, We also have a fashion show of alumni wearing a past costume from each show they were in.

Maria Stadtmueller
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: 30th Anniversary

Posted 04-05-2018 04:48
    I second the video/photo montage suggestion, but also second the live performance aspect (which would take more planning and finagling...though it depends on how you plan it.)

By that I mean, you could have alumni performing numbers from past shows. Or you could have current students doing all the performing of numbers from past shows. Or you could have a mix...whichever way you choose, it'll be super inspiring and encouraging. I gotta confess I would personally wanna see alumni perform with current students...that'd be priceless. 

Also, maybe there could be a space left in the program? You know, like the blank pages they leave in yearbooks for kids to write messages to one another? If you're having social mingling time, some folks are just better expressing themselves in writing rather than in person (guilty!)

What a cool idea. Good luck!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON