Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Opening for acting workshops - anyone doing this?

Posted 06-17-2020 14:53
    Hello, 

My apologies if this has already been addressed. I looked but didn't see anything specifically related. I'm in Kentucky and we're looking at opening up for acting workshops with small numbers of students (no more than 6) socially distant, pre-screening and other safety guidelines. These would be held on-stage in a proscenium theatre with a decent-sized stage where students could remain 6' apart. We're using the guidelines of state athletic association and adapting for the arts (in this instance) and other co-/extra-curriculars. The plan has been approved by our Board of Education. I'm looking for any input, advice, suggestions, especially from any schools/districts that are doing or planning on doing something similar. I have seen several of the guidelines for re-opening, i.e. Event Alliance plan, outline and pr from Actors Equity, KY Music Educators (for marching band). These are not rehearsals for a specific production, but acting workshops. 

Thanks in advance! - Jane

Jane Dewey
    Director of Arts Education 
    Danville Independent Schools
    jane.dewey@danville.kyschools.us

------------------------------
    Jane Dewey
    Danville, KY

• 2.  RE: Opening for acting workshops - anyone doing this?

Posted 06-25-2020 09:31
    I emailed this to Jane, but in case anyone else is working on the same thing, I wanted to make sure you saw that EdTA just released a Recommendations for Reopening School Theatre Programs Guide:
    https://www.schooltheatre.org/blogs/edta-news/2020/06/24/edta-releases-guide-for-reopening-school-theatre-p

Ginny Butsch
    Community Engagement Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH

• 3.  RE: Opening for acting workshops - anyone doing this?

Posted 06-26-2020 11:04
    Thanks again! And to anyone out there following it's a good resource to pass on to your school administrators as you're discussing reopening a performance space.

Jane Dewey
    Lexington KY