Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Best text and/or curriculum for beginning acting class?

Posted 04-26-2021 00:59
    What is the best acting/theater text or curriculum for a teacher with no acting experience? I am a visual arts teacher who will be teaching theater/acting courses next year due to staffing cuts. I design and create all the costumes for our school production, but I have no experience acting or teaching acting. I'm hoping to take a course this summer (recommendations welcome). I'm also looking for a user-friendly acting text or lessons/curriculum that may be available online? Thank you for your help!

------------------------------
    Ariana Schwartz
    Academy of Arts & Academics

• 2.  RE: Best text and/or curriculum for beginning acting class?

Posted 04-27-2021 14:41
    For Theatre Games (which build ensemble, self-confidence, teamwork, etc.), I love James Thomas Bailey's book. You can find him in this group and purchase it directly from him.

Gai Jones has a few valuable (and reasonable) books as well - she is also a part of this group.

They are also in this group.

More online resources, including lesson plans may be found at schooltheatre.org. They have a lesson plan library that might be very useful to you.

Best wishes!
    -Rob

• 3.  RE: Best text and/or curriculum for beginning acting class?

Posted 04-28-2021 09:21
    Thanks Rob for the mention. 
    RAISING THE CURTAIN published by Perfection Learning has 2 years of theatre activities. $50.00 You can order I copy for you the teacher and have many lesson plans. Many activities can be adapted for hybrid learning.  Great for subs. 
    THE STUDENT ACTOR PREPARES by Intellect Publishing is for intermediate and advanced students; written to guide journal type learning for reflections.

Gai Laing Jones

RAISING THE CURTAIN www.perfectionlearning.com 
     BREAK A LEG,  A LOVE LETTER TO THEATRE EDUCATORS AND STUDENTS www.gaijones.com  
    THE STUDENT ACTOR PREPARES:  ACTING FOR LIFE www.intellectbooks.com e-Book on Amazon 
    CURTAIN GOIN' UP...TRUISMS AND TIPS FOR COMMUNITY THEATER ACTORS, DIRECTORS, TECHNICIANS AND OTHER VOLUNTEERS https://www.facebook.com/GaiJonesTheatreEducator
    www.gaijones.com

• 4.  RE: Best text and/or curriculum for beginning acting class?

Posted 04-29-2021 12:02
    Introduction to Theatre Arts, Volume 1 by Suzi Zimmerman, available through Pioneer Drama, is extremely popular and very affordable. It is a very hands-on, year-long curriculum with a 3-hole punched loose leaf workbook for each student priced at just $16 per student. Contact me if you'd like to see sample pages and I can arrange that for you!

Debra Fendrich
    Executive Editor