Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Lighting for variable venues

Posted 04-18-2017 07:11

Hello,

I teach Theater at a school lacking a formal space for productions, thus without curtain rigging and theater lighting equipment and instruments.  I'm looking into getting 8 LED Par Can lights, using light trees, and a Elation Stage Setter 24 Channel DMX Light Controller. Wondering if others have purchased this kind of set-up for gym and Library or Cafeteria spaces, and what lessons were learned.

Moreover, as I need 3 bids to make such a purchase, are there good Lighting companies you might recommend. The first I found with these items, plus Lighting and Power Cables, was PSSL (Pro Sound and Stage Lighting). 

Generally we have used our Library with a stage area of 36'wide x 24'deep, and seat 80-120.

Thanks!!

Dan Barrett
    Mount Washington, KY

"Everything changed the day he realized there was exactly enough time for the important things in his life."  Brian Andreas

• 2.  RE: Lighting for variable venues

Posted 04-18-2017 09:32
    I've used Chauvet SlimBANK Tri-18's, used 8 of them to light up a square space in our gym about the same dimensions you've used, and it's worked a treat. We had a lighting tree in each corner (we did the performance in the round, or in the square as it turned out). The first year I did an alternative space, I learned that you shouldn't put lighting instruments directly behind audience members when the other half of the audience is sitting opposite. Who knew.

We ran our lights off a simpler 16 channel lighting board, but since we daisy chained all the lights together, they operated as one light, so all went up/down together. This meant we used 5 channels on the lighting board, with one controlling intensity, 3 controlling the different colors (Red/Green/Blue) and one for strobe like effects. Wonderfully simple, simple to operate. It did mean that we were limited to lighting the entire space at the same time, and couldn't have any area lit up all by itself, but this worked fine for our purposes, and the color mixing made up for that by greatly enhancing mood and temper.

All Pro Sound is a pretty good vendor that has been pretty good to work with. Talk about whether you want PAR LEDs or a slim bank/panel, I guess it depends what you need and how powerful you need the lights to be. All Pro Sound were really helpful in working out needs and not trying to oversell me, worked within my budget, and all that.

------------------------------
    Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 3.  RE: Lighting for variable venues

Posted 04-18-2017 10:06
    Talk to Sheldon at PNTA in Washington state. Great to work with and better prices. A straight-up guy whose opinion is invaluable. 

Sent from my iPhone
    Ron Wells
    Theatre teacher/director
    LCJSMS New Jersey

• 4.  RE: Lighting for variable venues

Posted 04-19-2017 13:28
    First, I'd suggest you check out the ETC Nomad Puck.  There's an educational opportunity for $250.  It gets you a fully featured lighting controller you can run out of a controller.

As far as your lights, make sure they have enough output.  We did a major retrofit of our space, and there is a significant difference between a 575 watt source four versus the LED based color source spot fixture.  Eight seems a might small, depending on how they throw.

I'm lucky I have Barbizon among several other companies locally.  You may want to check your local houses of worship.  Many in my area are going full entertainment lighting, and there are a TON of new sellers popping up left and right.  They might be able to help point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

DavidWard
    Mt. HollyNC

• 5.  RE: Lighting for variable venues

Posted 04-19-2017 15:50

I second PNTA! I'm only a half an hour away from them, and I use them for almost everything! They are very reliable and they can ship things out quickly (most useful even half an hour away when you can't get away to run over there! – like, most the time!).

Something to keep in mind when deciding on a lighting system, go over these questions with your supplier/designer of the system – your answers to these questions will help them know what system to spec for you. • Will the theatre be primarily used by students who come and go every few years? • Will there be vocational training for students? • How many students a year will want to learn to be lighting technicians? • Will the theatre be staffed by professional technicians? • Will the technicians run the theatre, and/or work with the students? • Will the space be rented to outside users? • If so, who will staff outside events, professional staff or students? • Will outside users expected to be able to run their own lights? • Will outside users be permitted to use the theatre's equipment unsupervised? • Who will restore the equipment each time in preparation for the next user?

In a high school setting, usually the need to have an easy to learn lighting system trumps the need to have the latest technology. I agree with Phillip - you don't want to be in a situation where the lighting system is too high tech to be of any practical use for your space, simpler is best at first, then you can grow on that. Again, it boils down to planning ahead and questioning who are your users and what are the uses of your lighting system.

Beth Rand
    High School Theatre Operations Coach

Next HS Theatre Management Training online course: Summer Session starts June 12. Spaces still available.

Author of "High School Theatre Operations" and "The High School Lighting Rep Plot; a step-by-step guide"

www.PRESETT.org
    Woodinville, WA

• 6.  RE: Lighting for variable venues

Posted 04-20-2017 10:45
    I recommend Luminair light board app for the iPad. It is around $80 for the app, but it is very user friendly and is great for LED lights. This can be moved to different venues as long as you have dmx and wireless connection.

Alex Moore
    Theatre Arts Director
    St. Louis MO