Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  short throw projector

Posted 05-25-2018 13:26
    Could anyone advise me on a good value/good quality short throw projector for use in my theatre? I would project the images on my cyc curtain in an area about 40' by 18' by hanging the projector off one of the light battens. I have a general knowledge of the basics of short throw protectors and know that the throw distance affects the size of the image and the lumens have to be high enough to overcome any stage light near the cyc.

I am looking for recommendations to rent/buy and brands to avoid.

Thanks,
    Ann

--
    Ann Hileman, M.A.
    Executive Board of Indiana Thespians
    Indiana Thespian Hall of Fame

Maconaquah High School
    256 East 800 South
    Bunker Hill, IN 46914
    765-689-9131 x 5550 (phone)
    765-689-9528 (fax)

• 2.  RE: short throw projector

Posted 05-26-2018 09:59
    I had good luck with the Ben Q Short Throw
    It was a good combination of value and brightness.

------------------------------
    Brian Bozanich
    Director of Theatre
    Maumee Valley Country Day School
    Toledo OH

• 3.  RE: short throw projector

Posted 05-26-2018 10:42
    Look at this one. It worked for us.

• 4.  RE: short throw projector

Posted 05-27-2018 05:55
    Ann:

There are three factors to consider: Lens, Lumens and Price.

The specs you need for your space requirements are as follows:

1) Short Throw with 0.5:1 ratio or better. Shorter the throw, less light pollution, closer the projector, larger the image.
    2) 5,000+ lumens or brighter. Projection requires adjustment to stage lighting. Redirect stage lights away from the surface. Compliment with blues and purples, avoid white or amber. 
    3) The combination of short throw + brightness = expensive. The projectors listed in this thread are reasonably priced, but not the effective size or brightness I believe you want to achieve. This ultimately means that you need to adjust expectation of quality in one area. Large but not bright; or very bright and not so large. 

If your theatre is investing long term, look at laser projectors. Those can last for 10+ years for most spaces. Superior quality and never needs to change the bulb!

My staff at BMD would be happy to help you with any additional questions. We have a full support team that specializes in this area of technical theatre.

Best of luck on your search!

Quentin Sanford
    President
    Broadway Media Distribution (BMD)
    1-800-277-0343
    www.BroadwayMediaDistribution.com

• 5.  RE: short throw projector

Posted 05-29-2018 14:02

I've rented through Gemini Stage Lighting & Equipment Inc. http://geminilsv.com/

A good short throw projector is about 80 grand.  They rent for about 4 grand for the week of production.  Absolutely amazing. I don't know how far reaching their rental service goes.

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled.

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org