Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Setting for Twelfth Night

Posted 04-19-2017 09:33
    Currently pondering Shakespeare's Twelfth Night.  Thought I'd look to the community for some design inspiration--anybody set a production in a particularly interesting time/place setting.

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 2.  RE: Setting for Twelfth Night

Posted 04-20-2017 05:35
    I've done it twice, once set in an indeterminate historical period, vaguely Renaissance,, and once as a film noir, where Malvolio was the maitre d' at a posh Club Illyria that Orsino wanted to take over, hence the angling for a marriage alliance. Both were hits! Kids loved them! Hardest scene for them is the letter scene. Aside from that, very accessible.

Sent from my iPad

• 3.  RE: Setting for Twelfth Night

Posted 04-20-2017 09:11
    When I was in grad school the director set it in New Jersey at the boardwalk.  He gave it an overall "Sopranos" type feel/design.   It seemed to work well with that setting.

Pamela Hurt
    Plano TX

• 4.  RE: Setting for Twelfth Night

Posted 04-20-2017 09:39
    Hello -- One of my first costuming assignments was to put together a Twelfth Night wardrobe based on just-before-Castro Cuba.  The Duke was a Fulgencio Batista wannabe, there were several rebel soldiers, an added troupe of dancers in hot-color flamenco skirts added a tropical touch.  Sir Toby and Sir Andrew wore Hawaiian shirts, and Feste a parrot-fabric chef's hat.  The students loved it, and everyone looked great.  Also, it was inexpensive (we already had some dilapidated Army fatigues.
    Good luck!
    Joanne Buyniski
    Resident Costume Designer/Instructor
    Worcester (MA) Academy

Joanne Buyniski
    Whitinsville MA

• 5.  RE: Setting for Twelfth Night

Posted 04-20-2017 12:42
    I hope to some day direct it in the style of Maxfield Parrish. To me it just sort of makes sense. Everyone else has some great suggestions, though!

Jared Wright
    Thomaston GA

• 6.  RE: Setting for Twelfth Night

Posted 04-21-2017 07:40
    How I would LOVE to see the Maxfield Parrish design interpretation!  He da man, as far as colors, line, and so on!  Good luck!

Joanne Buyniski
    Whitinsville MA

• 7.  RE: Setting for Twelfth Night

Posted 04-21-2017 08:52
    When I directed it, I set it in the post war 20s. I had Toby running a speak-easy and gave Orsino a mobster sort of look. One fun thing I played with was Feste. I split the role into two parts. I gave one all the lines and then had her shadowed by an instrumentalist (guitar) and had him do a sort of Harpo Marx style "commentary" with the instrument. They also wrote original music for Feste's closing song.

Robert Smith
    VA Co-Chapter Director
    James Madison High School
    Vienna VA

• 8.  RE: Setting for Twelfth Night

Posted 04-21-2017 11:20
    I don't remember many specifics, but I saw a production of Twelfth Night set in the "Wild West" once. It was pretty fun!

Emily Olson
    Theatre Arts Teacher and Director
    Port St. Lucie, FL

• 9.  RE: Setting for Twelfth Night

Posted 04-26-2017 11:50
    Thanks all for the ideas.

Here's the update, in case anyone was interested.

After some class discussion about the themes of the play, my students settled upon three different time settings that they thought were suitable: the 1920s, the 1950s, and the 1980s.  They put together presentations in small groups advocating for one of those time periods with images for design inspiration, and I demanded that they move beyond "this would be cool" into talk of the various themes in the play.

I think their thinking was inspired (but I'm partial to the 1920s idea.)  I'm considering doing a showcase of key scenes (rather than the whole play or even an edited version) and maybe even allowing different casts for each presentation and possibly allowing different eras.

Thanks again for your input.

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI