Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Brand New Troupe Question

Posted 05-14-2019 07:27
    If we are inducting our first group into Junior Thespians, who signs the certificates as president?  Not sure what to do about that spot on the certificates.

------------------------------
    Amy MacCord
    Musical Theatre Teacher
    Hawthorne FL

• 2.  RE: Brand New Troupe Question

Posted 05-15-2019 08:02
    Is there a high school troupe in your district? Maybe the president from that troupe could do it.

Susan Nieten
    Theatre Teacher & Thespian Troupe Director
    Noblesville High School
    Noblesville, IN
    @NHSTheatre @mrsnieten

• 3.  RE: Brand New Troupe Question

Posted 05-15-2019 08:06
    That's a great idea, to have the HS troupe president sign! Ours were blank that first year.

Dianne Rowe
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Junior Thespian Troupe 88177
    Berry Middle School
    bit.ly/BerryDrama
    Birmingham, AL

• 4.  RE: Brand New Troupe Question

Posted 05-15-2019 10:51
    When we chartered our Junior Troupe in the spring of 2017, I inducted something like 5 eighth graders and 5 seventh graders.  Since the eighth graders were moving on to high school, I gathered my seventh graders and took nominations/held a vote and elected officers.  Our newly elected president signed all of the certificates.  Yes, the president signed her own certificate, but I think she enjoyed the unique distinction of doing so.

Derek Friederich
    Thespian Troupe 417/Speech Coach/Jr. High Drama/Fine Arts Center Technical Director
    Postville IA

• 5.  RE: Brand New Troupe Question

Posted 05-16-2019 13:18
    Welcome to the International Thespian Society, Amy!

As I noted in an earlier thread, whatever works for you is fine. There's a lot of variety in how troupes handle officer roles and selection. You can appoint officers on a temporary or more permanent basis. You can hold a quick, informal election, or you can hold off on establishing officers until you have more time to work out a system with your students. That can be a great activity for regularly scheduled troupe meetings in the future. It's okay to have a president sign their own induction certificate, to leave it blank, or to have the president of a high school Thespian troupe sign them for now as has been suggested.

Do what works best for you and your troupe now. You can always change your mind and your troupe guidelines later.

Brian Benz
    Membership Manager
    Educational Theatre Association

• 6.  RE: Brand New Troupe Question

Posted 05-16-2019 14:40
    Thanks for the support and advice.  I contacted the high school troupe nearby and the president signed our certificates for this year's inductees.  He wrote his troupe number below the signature line.  The officers from the high school troupe also came and led our students in the pledge and helped by pinning them at the ceremony while I called them up and read out the achievements.  It worked wonderfully.

Amy MacCord
    Musical Theatre Teacher
    Hawthorne FL