Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Marvel Spotlight Plays

Posted 10-02-2019 09:44
    Samuel French I see has these three Marvel Spotlight Series plays. Has anyone checked them out at all?

How big do you think you could get casts to be? How long do you think they would run? 

I do a night of One Acts with my 7th to 9th grade actors every year (we typically do plays of the Everything I need to KNow I learned by being in a really bad play level for these shows) with a crew of 6 juniors directing. Was thinking it may be fun to do these three together next year.

Thanks

------------------------------
    Joseph Gels
    Theatre Teacher
    Boston Latin School
    Boston MA

• 2.  RE: Marvel Spotlight Plays

Posted 10-02-2019 12:28
    I'm reading them over and leaning towards using them for my junior high production.  You could do a cast of around sixty-six without doubling.  Possibly more if you made the Squirrel Girl Chorus bigger in that play.  As for runtimes, I'd estimate 2hrs for all three.  

I've grown to like them better the more I read them over.  They have an "afterschool special" vibe to them and I wasn't sure if I liked that at first.  I don't mind doing plays that have a message or tackle an issue, but these are a bit on the nose.  However, they are fun and don't take themselves too seriously.  What I do really like are some of the "extras" that you get.  First, each script has some suggestions for rehearsal exercises and discussion starters, which are helpful.  What I'm most excited about is each play comes with a origin sketch.  You can choose to perform them with the play or use them as advertising for the show.  You even have permission to film the origin sketches and post them online.  

All in all, I'd say they are worth a read.

Derek Friederich
    Thespian Troupe 417/Speech Coach/Jr. High Drama/Fine Arts Center Technical Director
    Postville IA