Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Competition Suggestions

Posted 05-14-2019 13:56
    Hi all - 

This is my first year being part of EdTA and META.  My troupe was able to attend the Michigan festival last winter, but we didn't get to see any other groups compete due to bad weather and a delayed departure.

I have students interested in competing next winter, but aside from the rules listed on the META site, I'm not sure where to start.

Are there any definite "do not do" pieces, scenes, songs etc?

Are some things really overdone that you would suggest we shy away from?

For the musical theatre group scenes, should they be dancing as well or just singing?

Any other tips??

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
    Toni Thomas
    English Teacher, Theatre Teacher and Director
    West Branch, MI

• 2.  RE: Competition Suggestions

Posted 05-17-2019 14:44
    Hi Toni,

Here are my thoughts on your questions.

Are there any definite "do not do" pieces, scenes, songs etc?  I would stay away from scenes that have questionable language. While you might not be bothered by it some judges might and one thing you don't want is the judge being "shocked" out of the moment your students have worked so hard to create.

Are some things really overdone that you would suggest we shy away from? Really I would not worry about this as long as your students are excited and committed to the piece. Since each group is judged individually and IE's are not a competition your students will not be compared to another group.

For the musical theatre group scenes, should they be dancing as well or just singing? This all depends on the song and the staging required. For example Seasons of Love from RENT would look odd if dance was added but All that Jazz from CHICAGO is just screaming for a dance movement. Approach each piece from the standpoint of "how best do we tell the story" and you should be fine.

Anne-Marie Roberts
    Theatre Director
    Ann Arbor Public Schools
    Ann Arbor MI