Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Dimmers for LED lighting

Posted 03-15-2017 07:58
    We have a strand dimmer rack with CD80 dimmers and a c21 control system.  Does any know of a inexpensive way to change a few over to non dim power to run the LED lighting?

--
    Charles Puetzer
    Math Department
    Stage Manager
    Michigan City High School
    8466 W Pahs Road
    Michigan City, IN 46360
    (219) 873-2044, ext. 4360
    cpuetzer03@mcas.k12.in.us

• 2.  RE: Dimmers for LED lighting

Posted 03-15-2017 12:44
    I might be missing something here, but I don't think you want to plug in an LED to a dimmer. It just needs to be plugged into a regular outlet and connected with DMX cables. What kind of control board are you using?

------------------------------
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 3.  RE: Dimmers for LED lighting

Posted 03-15-2017 15:51
    I think the only real way to do this is to get the Non-Dim Power Modules for the CD80. I would talk to you local distributor for pricing on it. 

Mike Ritchey
    Technical Director
    Santa Margarita Catholic High School
    Rancho Santa Margarita CA

• 4.  RE: Dimmers for LED lighting

Posted 03-15-2017 15:49
    Not sure for the Strand dimmers, but ETC sells a relay module for their Sensor racks, so I would assume Stand does as well. You do not want to run your LED's or any other "intelligent" instrument on a parked dimmer or otherwise. Worst case, you run AC power from a wall outlet.

Jeremy Ferman
    Theatre Director
    Mansfield TX

• 5.  RE: Dimmers for LED lighting

Posted 03-16-2017 06:38
    There is a way to convert the dimmer module to a constant power module by swapping wires, to shut off the power when not using you would need to turn the breaker off. You could also possibly purchase a relay module to replace the dimmer module.

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 6.  RE: Dimmers for LED lighting

Posted 03-16-2017 13:39
    We have a Strand Century CD80 system here at Clover Park HS.  As Jerry said, there is a way to modify the dimmer packs to provide uninterrupted constant power for LED lights.  This modification bypasses the control board of the system, so you would have to find a way to address that.

What we are doing is using the CD80 system only as a power source as that part of the system is still stable (years of abuse and neglect before I arrived have made some of the dimmer packs, control circuits, and the dimmer board itself unreliable).  To control the LED fixtures, we use a computer based DMX system.  This system can be expanded using portable power packs if we want to use the existing, traditional fixtures as well.

Jym Kinney
    Troupe Director
    Clover Park High School
    Lakewood, Washington

• 7.  RE: Dimmers for LED lighting

Posted 03-16-2017 15:23

Using a Non-Dim module is the correct technical solution for temporary changes, as others have recommended.  However, this leaves you with a 2P&G 'Stage Pin Plug' outlet or a NEMA L5-20 'Twistlock' outlet that 'looks like a dimmed outlet', but isn't.  Unless you do a good job of documenting which circuits have Non-Dim modules installed, you can create a great level of confusion and head-scratching down the line.

Modifying the existing dimmer module(s) is NOT recommended.  Although it seems innocuous enough, it opens a whole can of worms:

• Who assumes the warranty on the modified device?  You do!
    • Who assumes the liability should someone be electrocuted by the modified device?  You do!
    • Who assumes the liability for a fire caused by the modified device?  You do!
    • Does the person that comes into the venue five years from now have any records for the device modification(s)?  Probably not!  Will they continually wonder why "channel 53 doesn't dim!" ?
    • Does your school administration authorize you to make electrical modifications to equipment?  Probably not!

Chose the professional and safe path - don't make unauthorized modifications to electrical equipment or machinery.  Always have changes to your systems thoroughly documented.

If you need constant ON power circuits and outlets, then have them added to your system by a licensed electrician that understands stage lighting systems.  If you need outlets that can be remotely switched ON/OFF under DMX control, then have a system of commercially available equipment that is engineered specifically to do that installed - don't "make it up as you go".  Note:  There is a new special requirement in the NEC (NFPA 70 - National Electric Code) for remotely switched power receptacles that also must be incorporated in your solution.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions.  Good intentions count for little in the court of law."

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 8.  RE: Dimmers for LED lighting

Posted 03-16-2017 20:18
    Erich,

Thank you for your response.  I fully agree that self-modified dimmer packs, without proper instruction from the distributor and training of the individual doing the modification, is to be avoided.  The concerns you listed are just part of what worried me about the solution we use.

Our case, in particular follows your concerns.  Much of the documentation for the installed system was lost in the nearly 10 years when Clover Park High School did not have a theatre program.  It is only with the advice and consultation of professional technicians that our solution has been implemented.

Perhaps I should have led with that.  If Strand Century is contacted, they will refer you to another company who can provide the necessary constant power dimmer packs needed for LED lighting.  According to the Strand Century representative, they no longer support the CD80 systems directly.  There are multiple authorized third parties that support CD80 systems, so look for one in your area.

Jym Kinney
    Troupe Director
    Clover Park High School
    Lakewood, Washington