Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Help With Late Recast

Posted 04-18-2018 22:37

Hello!

I currently have a bit of an organizational dilemma on my hands. I'm currently stage managing a student-directed production of Miss Julie by August Strindberg and our lead male had to leave the production due to health issues.

We have been able to quickly fill his part with that of an alumni actor, but we're 8 days out from opening night and I could use some tips about how to best integrate him into the production.

Any help? Thanks!

------------------------------
    Timothy Meylor
    Irvine, California

• 2.  RE: Help With Late Recast

Posted 04-19-2018 07:37
    When I had to recast so late in the game, I met immediately with the new actor, worked on character and had them write down all blocking so that when they came into their first rehearsal, they had all information.

Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 3.  RE: Help With Late Recast

Posted 04-19-2018 22:01
    Wonderful, thank you so much!

Timothy Meylor
    Irvine CA

• 4.  RE: Help With Late Recast

Posted 04-20-2018 16:26
    As the stage manager, work with the new actor to give all blocking. Consult the director as to how s/he wants to adjust the rehearsal schedule to get the new actor up to speed while also moving the rest of the show forward. If the other actors are able to meet outside of scheduled rehearsals to run lines/scenes, that would be ideal. Remember to provide all supports necessary. Keep all the other performers calm and alleviate any undue stress that the situation has caused by rallying the troupe behind supporting the new person.

I had this happen with a show three days before opening. It was stressful, but it really brought the company together because we had to unify to make it work.

Scott Wilson
    School Counselor
    Columbus City Schools
    Columbus OH