Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Students with Performance Anxiety

Posted 03-03-2017 09:57
    How do you all deal with students with severe performance anxiety? I have one student in particular in my Theatre 1 that will rehearse in class, but WILL NOT perform. The first few times I've allowed her to perform her scenes during our office hours, but she's stopped coming. Part of my curriculum is that they learn how to give & take peer critique, so in-class performances are imperative. It's at the point where we're working on pantomime, and she still refuses to participate and has an anxiety attack. 

Does anyone have any suggestions? Her grades are suffering because of it. She's a sweet girl and I don't want her to fail my class. She does fine on written assignments, but I cannot figure out an alternative assignment to rehearsal, critiques and performances where she gets the same benefits from it.

------------------------------
    Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 2.  RE: Students with Performance Anxiety

Posted 03-03-2017 10:12
    It might be a little late for this but have you tried using improv games to get her out of her shell? In the 1st 9 weeks of my intro class we spend a lot of time doing improv as an entire class. I've found that this involves everyone in a manner that is not as scary (probably because everyone is equally in the dark about how to go about it) and it is very light-hearted so there is no pressure associated with the "performing". 

In terms of letting her perform outside of class... I've done something similar but it always occurs in the 15 minutes between the end of school and the beginning of rehearsal. Kids are coming into the room but aren't focused on the performance. I've found it helps start to relieve the anxiety because there are other people there but the performer isn't the focus. Again... a very non scary environment.

I'd also call home and get help from that arena. Have the student perform at home. It's usually more difficult to perform in from of your parents than your peers. I point that out and, after managing at home, it seems to be easier. 

I'd write more but the bell just rang. :)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Students with Performance Anxiety

Posted 03-03-2017 10:42
    I feel you. I had one last year that I just couldn't crack, even with improv games - the only student I ever had who just plain refused to participate. Her bad attitude was contagious, too; fully one-third of the class resisted all performance assignments. To this day I'm not sure why she stayed in the class, and in hindsight I should have done something more active about it.

This year, I started with three or four kids who resisted performing. The thing that helped the most bringing them out of their shell was student-driven group performances. I have four teams of students, each led by a second- or third-year theater student. Sometimes we do a one-day structured-improv, and sometimes we do a longer performance exercise that rehearses for a few days. The less confident students often take on a smaller role in these exercises, but everyone performs, and the student director tends to 'adopt' the shy one and encourage/accommodate them in a way that seems to work well.

I don't know if this kind of peer-centric approach will create a safer space for your student, but mine were nurtured into a bit more comfort being in front of people, to the point that one or two are even planning to audition for our spring musical.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 4.  RE: Students with Performance Anxiety

Posted 03-03-2017 11:00
    Over the years, I've seen that the space makes the biggest difference for my reluctant performers.

I've taught in auditoriums where kids would just get ugly about not performing.  Or shutting down and doing enough to get the "effort" grade.  But when I've been in a smaller classroom, it has become much easier.  There's something really daunting about being on a big ole stage.

As far as dealing with the individual, you have to find out from them what's causing their apprehension.  Then you just have to work around it.  

One thing that I've found with the super shy, super organized kids is to give them a ton of information - blocking, tactics, objectives, just a ton of stuff.  Let them worry more about hitting their marks rather than the people.  Other times, deep character analysis, give them choice ideas, and tell them to focus else where.

Or just have them practice until they are sick of it.  Or there's always 5 points of extra credit.  That works to at least get them up there.  Maybe not the best method, but it does get them started, for better or worse!

DavidWard
    Mt. HollyNC

• 5.  RE: Students with Performance Anxiety

Posted 03-04-2017 07:01
    I tell the kids upfront that while I don't require public performances (too many kids and most are just there for the fine arts credit) I do require class performances. If they can't do it, they need to drop. But I ease them in. We play"get to know you" games first off, pantomime skits where no one talks, fairy tale or nursery rhyme inspired skits where not everyone has to talk, and then some sort of scene or improv where everyone must speak. I think that helps them get used to being in front of their classmates without throwing them into the fire right off. 

Christina Iman
    Teacher
    Ripley WV

• 6.  RE: Students with Performance Anxiety

Posted 03-04-2017 12:55
    To me, dealing with a student who suffers from anxiety versus a student with a bad attitude demand different approaches. I agree with most, that small group or partnering activities/performances can help.  We have all probably differentiated instruction in order to try to reach each and every student.  Is she interested in Tech? The reason I ask, I had twins in a class years ago where one was the "star" and the other one had no interest in being in front of anyone. I differentiated enough to make it work for her to meet with success. The reason I bring this up, the nonperformer is now a stage manager on Broadway.  If it's attitude alone. I always say, you don't get to decide what you do or don't do in math class. Same rule applies in here. Grades should reflect participation and performance in an arts class. Good luck! 

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Hawaii Independent Schools
    Honolulu, HI