Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Fireworks FX

Posted 01-31-2017 07:53
    Does anyone have advice on how to make a fireworks lighting fx without renting any special instruments?  We have the basics for a proscenium high school stage set up.  I'm looking for more than just flashing lights off and on.  Thanks, 

------------------------------
    Dorothea Hackett
    DuBois PA

• 2.  RE: Fireworks FX

Posted 02-01-2017 06:54
    one way would be to use gobos, there are firework burst gobos that can be put into lighting fixtures, and that in tandem with sound would be a good option.

You can look at Rosco Labs or Apollo to see what firework gobos are available, the more the better for a more diverse look

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 3.  RE: Fireworks FX

Posted 02-01-2017 10:19
    It all depends on where you want the fireworks to go off.

What show are you doing?

It might all be about the refelcted light from the fireworks on your actors and the set.

Coordination with sound effects is crucial.

Consider a number of specials, in different places on your cyc, that use a fireworks gobo.

Nathan Rosen
    Baltimore MD

• 4.  RE: Fireworks FX

Posted 02-01-2017 15:31
    I often have a go to with this kind of stuff of using projections. Of course you have to be wary of lighting at that moment, but you can use something as simple as a old classroom projector with the right adapters to your computer. Choose a high quality video or at least one with good brightness. Depending on how your booth is setup up you might be able to put the projector in the booth, or if the room has a projector in it use that.  I can Qlab is a great program that you can run video off of without having to worry about blackouts and things, and you can rent it for the time you need it, so its not that expensive. I normally rent the entire suite for about 7 dollars a day and they always throw in a few extra days. I can give you some more ideas with this if you decide to go that way. 

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI

• 5.  RE: Fireworks FX

Posted 02-02-2017 21:23

We did fireworks from a door on a set that lead to a basement, where someone had set off fireworks. Was it “I Remember Mama”? In any case…we set a flashing color changing LED instrument on the floor as an uplight, and used dry ice for smoke. The smoke came through the door catching all the color flashes. It was very effective.

Beth Rand
    Author of "High School Theatre Operations"
    High School Theatre Manager
    HS Theatre Management Coach and Instructor - next class starts March 27
    PRESETT, a service of RCDTheatreOps
    www.PRESETT.org
    Woodinville, WA

• 6.  RE: Fireworks FX

Posted 02-07-2017 22:13
    I don't know what show you need it for, but we have done YOU CAN'T TAKE IT WITH YOU and used some not very fancy light cues in addition to a smoke machine and a few well-placed confetti cannons.

Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning center
    460 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearn.org