Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Music Man

Posted 12-15-2016 10:02
    Your best two for the leads are brother and sister.....What do you do?? unique topic I've never had to deal with in 20 years!!!

--
    Jill Welsheimer
    Director of Instrumental Music and Theatre Arts
    Perryville High School
    410-996-6000

• 2.  RE: Music Man

Posted 12-15-2016 10:11

Just had this conversation about casting for a local production of Little Mermaid.

My feeling is that if anyone in the audience knows they are Brother and Sister it will probably be very uncomfortable.  We can talk about willing suspension of disbelief, but...this casting might be too much for the audience to overcome.

------------------------------
    Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 3.  RE: Music Man

Posted 12-16-2016 04:30
    In addition to the audience feeling uncomfortable, I think it would be a “thing” that your cast won’t be able to move past. It will be what they remember about the production, it will limit either lead in their character development — I would say it’s not worth it!

• 4.  RE: Music Man

Posted 12-16-2016 08:23
    There are some shows where the male and female leads are not romantically involved with each other. 
    Kind of depends on the kids and what types and vocal ranges they are.
    * Anything Goes comes to mind.  Reno and Billy are the leads but he ends up with Hope Harcourt and she ends up with Lord Evelyn.  
    * Joseph & the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat - you have The Narrator and Joseph. Brother and Sister might be a great relationship for those two characters actually. 
    * Also Cabaret - Sally Bowles and the M.C. are both fantastic scene stealing leads and not a couple. 
    * Into The Woods - The Witch and The Baker
    * Rent - Mark and Mimi are not romantically linked (there is a high school version of this show)
    * Peter Pan - Peter (if cast as a girl) and Captain Hook, obviously. 
    * Hello Dolly - Dolly Levi and Cornelius Hackle also not a couple. 
    Hope that helps

John D. Monteverde
    PHS - Drama Teacher
    jmonteverde@pittsfield.net

• 5.  RE: Music Man

Posted 12-16-2016 09:00
    Just had that in Addams Family community theatre production; in the program one used her real name; the other used his real first name and middle name (which sounded like a last name). Kissing only on the cheek, forehead, or on the hand.
    There was no push back.
    There was already built-in chemistry for happiness and playful anger between the two actors.

Sent from my iPhone
    Gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    Www.gaijones.com

• 6.  RE: Music Man

Posted 12-17-2016 03:52

I like all the responses.  I would consider using the brother as Harold and find another girl.  I alwasy love it when Harold Hill kisses Marian!  You can't do that with brother and sister actors (it is weird)  The music is soaring and they kiss!  I wouldn't want to miss that in The Music Man.  Are there any other girls who can sing and act to choose from?

------------------------------
    Corinne Walker
    Lyon, France