Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Heartwarming Comedy

Posted 12-09-2019 15:51
    I recently started at a new high school and produced my first show, "The Curious Savage," this past November.  It went over very well.  I'd like to do another heartwarming comedy, but I'm not sure what else is out there.  I have a small cast size (8-12) with 3-4 boys and 6-7 females and will use doubling if needed.  Can I get some suggestions on plays to consider?  Thank you all so much!

------------------------------
    Trevor Yarbrough
    Theatre Teacher
    Dyersburg TN

• 2.  RE: Heartwarming Comedy

Posted 12-09-2019 19:43
    Check out some of the plays by Jones, Hope and Wooten at DPS - quite a few of them match your cast size. We did Doublewide, Texas a few years ago and it was a lot of fun!

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 3.  RE: Heartwarming Comedy

Posted 12-10-2019 07:09
    I suggest Who Am I THis TIme (And Other Conundrums of Love) by Aaron Posner, based on three short stories by Kurt Vonnegut. It's sweet, funny, poignant, and appropriate for all ages! Great parts for all sorts of actors, too. good luck and break legs!

Caroline Clayton
    Teacher
    New Palestine IN

• 4.  RE: Heartwarming Comedy

Posted 12-10-2019 09:27
    I wholeheartedly recommend Leaving Iowa by Tim Clue and Spike Manton. It's sort of a love letter to the American family road trip/family vacation. It's especially appropriate for the midwest and was written for a midwestern audience, but the core of it is appropriate for everyone. Very sentimental, very heartwarming, and very funny. The play is written with 2m 2f for the main family and then 12 male ensemble characters and 10 female ensemble characters. The script has all of the ensemble characters being played by one male and one female, but some of the turnarounds between characters are so quick and distinct, that I would definitely suggest expanding this. It sounds like it would be a perfect show for your group!

Dalton Pittenger
    Theatre Director- Smithville High School
    University of Central Missouri, Class of 2018

• 5.  RE: Heartwarming Comedy

Posted 12-10-2019 16:02
    I second the vote for Leaving Iowa!  It is a director's dream, with an easy set, flexible casting, and a GREAT sound effects track which you can rent with it.  It has many funny parody scenes, but the ending pulls at your heartstrings.  This was on of my favorite shows ever! (I ended up using a cast of about 16).  My audience also loved it.

Janette Clark
    Drama Teacher
    Minneapolis KS

• 6.  RE: Heartwarming Comedy

Posted 12-11-2019 02:16
    Harvey is a classic!  Watch the movie with Jimmy Stewart for a treat.  
    Or...
    You Can't Take It With You
    Arsenic and Old Lace 
    and
    Heaven Can Wait
    all come to mind.  

Julie Ingram
    Norris Middle School - Room 40
    8th Grade Language Arts & Theatre Teacher
    ASB Advisor

Parents - please sign-up for classroom notices at classdojo.com
    - also available as a free app on your mobile device! :)

• 7.  RE: Heartwarming Comedy

Posted 12-16-2019 09:25
    All in the Timing is a fun piece.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 8.  RE: Heartwarming Comedy

Posted 12-16-2019 09:36
    I'll second Harvey and anything by Jones Hope Wooten Comedies (all available at Dramatists). My personal recommendations are The Red Velvet Cake War and Mama Won't Fly.

You could also look at You Can't Take it With You. Slightly larger cast and some unique prop/tech needs, but as heartwarming comedies go, it's pure gold.

Arsenic and Old Lace is another of my absolute favorites.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher, Thespian Society/Drama Club sponsor
    Winfield City Schools
    Winfield, AL