Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Blue Stockings

Posted 03-05-2018 09:04
    Has anyone read Blue Stockings by Jessica Swale? I'm interested in reading it, but I thought I'd see if anyone had thoughts before I bought a copy. Unfortunately, the Kindle "sample" only contained cast and production notes.

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 2.  RE: Blue Stockings

Posted 03-09-2018 11:36
    I recommended this script on another discussion topic, more as a good contemporary script to read, but I do think it could work at the high school level, at the right school. It's been a little while since I read it, but here are some thoughts.

The world of "Blue Stockings" is very British, and the script has a fair amount of intellectual content - some philosophy, light science, I think, medical theories about hysteria from the time period. The story line, about women fighting for the right to be considered college-educated, is pretty fantastic, and there's plenty of emotional content as well. Personally, I think plays which address learning/education are great to do in a school setting. I also like that the main focus is on the women characters, but the men characters still are rich and interesting. It's kind of like Stoppard's "Arcadia," but with younger characters and more focussed on opportunities and limitations for women in the time period (and with no contemporary story, just filtered through a contemporary sensibility).

Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ

• 3.  RE: Blue Stockings

Posted 04-27-2018 01:53
    It is a GREAT script. So smart. I just read it with my group of seniors about to graduate, thinking about next year. We agreed that you really need the right cast. The story is really heroic – these young women were giving up everything to pursue education. They likely would not marry of have families, they could not get degrees, and could not really get jobs in their field of education. They had to do it ONLY for the thirst for knowledge. They sacrificed much so that things would ultimately change. It would be a great show for a very mature high school cast. If you have about 6 girls who can carry off the intelligent, fierce performances, and 4-5 guys who can do the same (to a bit lesser extent), then go for it. I don't think we have enough kids at the right level to do it justice next year, but it is definitely staying on my short list. I really want to direct this play someday.

Steven Slaughter
    English/Theatre
    Rosslyn Academy
    Nairobi, Kenya

"Be joyful, though you have considered all the facts." - W Berry