Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Sound Editing Software

Posted 03-30-2019 19:44
    Was wondering if anyone can recomend a good software program for editing sound--  capabilities like cutting, splicing, combining two tracks into one-- that sort of thing.  We use a program called Soundplant to play cues and I'm familar with Q Lab, just don't know much about editing software. 

Thanks in advance

------------------------------
    Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 2.  RE: Sound Editing Software

Posted 03-31-2019 07:59
    Audacity s a free program that has some surprisingly powerful features. It is extremely easy to use.

Nell] [Lynch]
    Timonium MDMaggie

• 3.  RE: Sound Editing Software

Posted 03-31-2019 10:55
    Audacity is a free download and offers pretty much everything you’d need for basic effects and splicing.

Mr. Benjamin Cossitor
    Instructor of English/Drama
    Altoona Area High School
    1415 6th Ave
    Altoona, PA 16602
    (814) 327-9076
    bencossitor@altoonasd.com

• 4.  RE: Sound Editing Software

Posted 03-31-2019 12:40
    Michael, 

Protools is the top software for editing. However it's if you have a big budget. 
    A tool I've used in the past is an online editing tool. Soundtrap.com 
    soundtrap lets you edit from any device for easy sharing and editing. 

Though if you want something downloaded on your computer instead of being online, FL Studios is professional grade. 

Jack Cannon
    Naperville IL

• 5.  RE: Sound Editing Software

Posted 03-31-2019 13:09
    Hi! There are some editing functions on Q-lab. If you go to audio in the inspector, it will allow you to trim the cue. Using the pre-wait, post-wait, and action tabs, you can overlap cues and build soundscapes. I've also used Q-lab to play a background cue, say a storm, and then run cues on top of the storm.  I've also built complex cues using Garage Band and Adobe Audition. I especially like some of the trim, effects, and sampling work I can do on Garage Band on the iPhone or iPad. Best of luck.

Christian Ely
    Middle School Theatre Arts Teacher
    Montclair Kimberley Academy
    Montclair NJ

• 6.  RE: Sound Editing Software

Posted 03-31-2019 22:42
    I have recently been using Pro <g class="gr_ gr_32 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="32" data-gr-id="32">tools</g> and it is what I am used to. It is probably more than what you currently need though. As other people have said audacity is free and can do what you need it to do. Another <g class="gr_ gr_39 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" id="39" data-gr-id="39">high end</g> option iv used is Neundo which is super stable and can do all of the things pro tools can do. 

-Matthew

Matthew Hamilton
    Philadelphia PA
    https://www.mhamiltonvisuals.com

• 7.  RE: Sound Editing Software

Posted 04-01-2019 09:12

I offer another vote for Audacity. It is free and very powerful. I used to have a license for Pro Tools,  but I stopped paying the high dollar for it. Audacity does all that I need it to do and more. I even do freelance work recording events and commercials for radio on it.

~Dave

David Simpson
    Performing Arts Center Manager
    East China Schools
    East China MI

• 8.  RE: Sound Editing Software

Posted 04-01-2019 09:59
    Audacity is probably fine for your current needs, as others have said.

A more advanced alternative to bear in mind for future uses is Cakewalk by BandLab, which is comparable to ProTools in power and complexity but is free and runs on Windows platforms (and at the moment only Windows). I have used it for years (decades!) to produce everything from short sound cues to complete record albums.

David Lichtenstein
    secretary
    Seat Yourself
    White Plains NY