Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Samuel French Help?

Posted 11-21-2019 19:12
    Hi all,

I received approval for ROCK OF AGES: High School Edition from Samuel French. I'm struggling to get payment to them because of some issues with our approval process here in my school division. I will most likely be sending it tomorrow, or Monday at the latest. I've been told that if I overnight/expedite the check, it'll be processed right away.

My big issue is that I need to start auditioning/casting/rehearsing ASAP because...well...I'm pregnant!!! I waited to license the show until I knew for sure that everything was going well in my pregnancy, because we have to move our show dates. Our normal dates are too close to my due date, so we are going at the end of March instead. But again, I couldn't start this process as early as I would have liked, because I wanted to be sure the pregnancy, and therefore the date switch, was moving forward. 

Does anyone know if Samuel French would conditionally approve me to announce the show and begin casting once I can prove payment is on the way? I have read a whole bunch of horror stories on here about how payment is taking them  WEEKS to process. Although they've assured me it'll be processed, my anxiety is through the roof, and it's not good for me to be anxious, lol!

If anyone has a direct contact to a person who will answer the phone or emails, or any advice, or any way to ensure I can get things rolling, I would greatly appreciate it!!!

PS - I know some of my colleagues and friends are on here...my pregnancy isn't quite public yet, but I am telling students on Monday, so keep it secret for now! :)

Thanks everyone,

Christina

------------------------------
    Christina Marshburn
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Williamsburg VA

• 2.  RE: Samuel French Help?

Posted 11-22-2019 10:22
    Any chance your school would let you pay by credit card?  That will go through right away and no need to worry about if/when a check will be processed.

Derek Friederich
    Thespian Troupe 417/Speech Coach/Jr. High Drama/Fine Arts Center Technical Director
    Postville IA

• 3.  RE: Samuel French Help?

Posted 11-22-2019 10:29
    Unfortunately no. Our credit card has a limit that is below the amount owed to Samuel French. Boy I wish we could do that because that would make it SO much easier. :(

Christina Marshburn
    Williamsburg VA

• 4.  RE: Samuel French Help?

Posted 11-23-2019 08:56
    When we have had to make a card payment above the limit, the business office calls the card company to raise the limit for the single payment. (Usually for the just above amount) Then, as soon as the payment has been processed , they call and have the card returned to the original limit. 
    --
    Jill Campbell
    Learning Enrichment ARTsmART
    State High Thespians
    State College Area High School
    State College, PA 16801

• 5.  RE: Samuel French Help?

Posted 11-22-2019 10:41
    Christina,

First of all congratulations! I haven't dealt with such an issue because we book our shows a year in advance. If I understand you though, you have received the rights from Sam French. If you have the rights and the payment is for royalties and materials, I cant think that you couldn't advertise and audition.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 6.  RE: Samuel French Help?

Posted 11-22-2019 11:42

Hello Christina,

Thank you so much for your post, and congratulations on your pregnancy!

At Samuel French our Educational Licensing Coordinators are keenly aware that your school district's payment process is, for the most part, entirely out of your control – we do our utmost to bear that in mind during the licensing process. This is one of many reason why we accept licensing applications as early as 18 months in advance of your first performance date, and it's OK if your plans change after applying. If anything, we encourage all of our customers to apply as early as they can even if their production plans are tentative at best.

As for your current license for Rock of Ages: High School Edition, our office is contractually required to have payment in hand before we can grant permission to begin advertising and auditions. That said, I encourage you to contact your licensing coordinators at K12@samuelfrench.com. They have worked with many teachers facing situations similar to yours and are usually able to find a solution that will allow you and your students to proceed with your production plans while abiding by the terms of your license.

Again, thank you so much for your post. Please don't hesitate to contact the Samuel French office directly if you have any additional questions. We're always happy to help.

Abbie

Abbie Van Nostrand
    VP, Client Relations & Community Engagement
    Concord Theatricals
    New York NY

• 7.  RE: Samuel French Help?

Posted 11-22-2019 11:48
    Hi Abbie,

Thanks for responding!! I have attempted to contact my licensing coordinators at that email, and have received no response. I have not been able to reach them via phone either. Is there a better way to get in touch with them in an expedient manner? My email is christina.marshburn@wjccschools.org if you would rather communicate that way.

Thanks again,

Christina

Christina Marshburn
    Williamsburg VA

• 8.  RE: Samuel French Help?

Posted 11-25-2019 16:33
    Thanks to everyone for the advice!

Samuel French processed my payment right away (an hour after it was delivered), and are currently shipping my materials, which should be to me by Monday. It turns out I will be on schedule with everything! :)

Thanks again all!

Christina Marshburn
    Williamsburg VA

• 9.  RE: Samuel French Help?

Posted 11-28-2019 07:35
    For future...they take a faxed PO.

Carol Knarr Gebert
    Jay County High School