Open Forum

View Only

She Kills Monsters Help!

• 1.  She Kills Monsters Help!

Posted 09-07-2018 12:29
    We are producing She Kills Monsters: Young Adventurers Edition for our fall play. Has anyone had experience with costuming the monsters (and any other characters!)? I plan on utilizing Halloween stores near me, but the price for that adds up quickly and our costume budget is almost non-existent. Any creative ideas from people that have done the show before?

------------------------------
    David McGill
    English Teacher
    South Elgin IL

• 2.  RE: She Kills Monsters Help!

Posted 09-08-2018 09:37
    First of all, great show.
    Second, when I did it I leaned into the LARP aesthetic. Crumpled paper rock walls, wooden swords. Orcus had a knit beanie with Halloween store horns and spray painted Hockey gloves. We referred to it as low rent Hellboy cosplay. A Jedi robe for Chuck, a Tinkerbell style outfit for Farah, the team used Fun foam armor. If you make all of it look have crafted, the audience understands.
    Good luck.

Brian Bozanich
    Director of Theatre
    Maumee Valley Country Day School
    Toledo OH

• 3.  RE: She Kills Monsters Help!

Posted 09-09-2018 20:20
    We are fortunate to have an Art teacher who loves helping out with our props and set design.  I told her my "vision" for having our dragons resemble traditional Chinese Dragons and she ran with it.  I told her about each dragon head represented an element and here's what she came up with (I've attached photos that show some of the basic construction and finished result).  We also fashioned the other costumes out of Cosplay elements that the students either owned, borrowed, or purchased on their own.

Hope this helps.ILZKsKO3QwOJ6lnM7rBS_21557667_10155733736279243_9067587555864444165_n.jpgeCZrVFefTpCjnfmFslRq_25594172_10155994407949243_255608154248348325_n.jpgeeGVwKDJTJGTNJp1yoOx_21463279_10155733736289243_1359787559565537005_n.jpgvl0fyYadSAihww93RbWv_21616191_10155733736229243_4563929986978286878_n.jpg

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA

• 4.  RE: She Kills Monsters Help!

Posted 09-10-2018 12:48
    We had so much fun with this show!

For the Kobalds, Wraiths, and Bugbears, we made brown onesies, bought some cool latex masks, and layered on fake fur pieces, black rags, etc. 

Orcus wore a red union suit as the base of his costume, with a horned helmet that was a Darth Vader helmet bought for another play with horns glued on.  He carried a club that was a rough stick with a skull on top. 

I will say that it was super nice to have a D & D player among our cast members.  She told us what elements we really needed to include when we were imagining all these characters.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 5.  RE: She Kills Monsters Help!

Posted 09-19-2019 07:47
    Is the cast expandable?  It lists 3M 6F but I see more roles on the cast list.  Also, is the HS edition worth it?

K Lang
    Ticonderoga NY

• 6.  RE: She Kills Monsters Help!

Posted 09-23-2019 14:04
    In terms of speaking roles, it's 8F, 4M, 1 either, plus people to play monsters. People have preferences for the adult version vs. the "young adventurers" edition (if you search the forum you'll see people weighing in); if you don't know the other version, the HS version is just fine.

Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ

• 7.  RE: She Kills Monsters Help!

Posted 09-24-2019 20:15
    I cast 4 additional students to be additional bugbears, wraiths, etc.  They didn't have lines, but they got to do some awesome stage combat.

C. J. Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator
    Asheville NC

• 8.  RE: She Kills Monsters Help!

Posted 09-24-2019 21:44
    Thanks for chiming in Cora and CJ.  I think the YA edition is a good script and it's looking like this will be our spring show.  Lots of productive discussion on this board so I'm sure I'll be reaching out again to others who have experience directing it.  This is exactly what I was looking for.

K Lang
    Ticonderoga NY

• 9.  RE: She Kills Monsters Help!

Posted 09-25-2019 14:25
    Hi- when I cast SKM:YAE, I pulled out some of the tripled parts. I left the D&D/real life pairings, but pulled out Narrator/Farrah, Evil Gabbi and Evil Tina, and The Great Mage Steve.  We were able to add another 4 kids so they could get on-stage experience. It worked out really well.
    Good Luck-- I loved this show!!!!

Caroline Clayton
    Teacher
    New Palestine IN

• 10.  RE: She Kills Monsters Help!

Posted 09-26-2019 08:50
    I want to get some great looking weapons--thinking foam, plastic core--for the show...any suggested sites besides Amazon?

K Lang
    Ticonderoga NY

• 11.  RE: She Kills Monsters Help!

Posted 09-26-2019 10:16
    I bought most of our weapons at a Halloween store.  Our favorite type, the one pictured here, had some thickness to the blade.  We reinforced it with hot glue where the handle and blade connected.  We also painted the blades with metallic paint and the handles with black paint.  We bedazzled Tillie's sword handle with plastic gemstones.  Class: awesome!

We made a battle ax for Lilith from a wooden curtain pole, 1/4" plywood, and a bit of scrap leather.  Kaliope's staff was just a really cool limb of box hedge with decoration on the end.  My favorite weapon we built had to be Orcus' cudgel.  We attached our "Yorick" skull to the end of a rhododendron limb with glue-soaked strips of muslin, then painted the muslin to look ancient. 

One note of caution.  The plastic swords are pretty easily broken.  We used lengths of PVC pipe for stage combat lessons until the students learned how to stop at the point of impact [insert grunt here.]

• 12.  RE: She Kills Monsters Help!

Posted 09-27-2019 11:18
    When we did this show in the spring, we bought cheap plastic weapons and then painted them to look good. We bought a wooden sword for Agnus, and painted the handle only, we wanted it looking very basic. but the rest, buy cheap and paint to look better.. Our fight scenes were purposely choreographed to NOT touch weapons, so we did not have to worry about damage or the sound the plastic would make during the fights.

Costumes: we just purchased what we needed (especially the cheerleaders) and now rent them (along with our dragon heads) to others doing this show locally.

Aimee Evans
    Technical Director
    Lincolnshire IL

• 13.  RE: She Kills Monsters Help!

Posted 09-26-2019 12:28
    In another discussion of this show, someone recommended these products:
    https://www.coldsteel.com/products/training-knives.html

Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ

• 14.  RE: She Kills Monsters Help!

Posted 09-30-2019 21:17
    Did anyone add an intermission or is this always just a straight run through?

K Lang
    Ticonderoga NY

• 15.  RE: She Kills Monsters Help!

Posted 10-01-2019 10:40
    I am opening this show in November, without an intermission.

Scott Russell
    Theatre Teacher
    Fayetteville AR

• 16.  RE: She Kills Monsters Help!

Posted 10-28-2019 15:04
    Honestly, we're renting aluminum stage weapons and adding stage combat to the curriculum, but it is kind of my specialty.  You may find you end up spending as much money on a bunch of foam or plastic weapons (if you don't want them to look cheesy) as stage ready weapons.  If you have the expertise and a disciplined class, you could consider doing some real fight choreo.

Scott Russell
    Theatre Teacher
    Fayetteville AR

• 17.  RE: She Kills Monsters Help!

Posted 10-29-2019 09:15
      |   view attached
    Great show! I expanded the cast to a bunch of fighting folk. Farrah also had back up fairies. The evil cheerleaders had a back up posse etc. For weaponry the cheapest functional thing I could find was wooden training weapons on this site. https://www.medievalcollectibles.com/product/wooden-excalibur-sword/ I do have an armed combat background though... So the students received training etc... Also for the dragons, I would try to lean on an art department. We built ours out of chicken wire, great stuff and construction hats as the base and then a lot of foam and toilet paper for features...

Colleen Mylott
    Secondary Theatre Teacher
    Peak to Peak Charter School
    Lafayette, CO