Open Forum

View Only

Thoughts?

• 1.  Thoughts?

Posted 01-08-2018 08:48

Hello everyone and Happy New Year!

I have two questions:

1.  The first one is easy. I am looking for some really sturdy, reasonably priced rolling costume racks. Does anyone have suggestions for where to find these?

2. We are doing The Pajama Game for our musical this year. I have been trying to figure out a way to do the number "Her Is" in a tasteful manner but I am at a loss. In today's climate, I believe a scene with a married boss chasing the pretty, young secretary around will be offensive. Well, it is offensive. We, as theatre folk, recognize that the show is from another time period but I don't think our audiences will appreciate it at all! Has anyone else run into this challenge? I think I should just cut the number.

Thanks,

Teresa

Teresa De Zarn 

Theatre Director

Archbishop McNicholas High School

513.231.3500 ext. 5137

513.231.1351--fax
    http://www.mcnhs.org

• 2.  RE: Thoughts?

Posted 01-08-2018 09:22
    In my opinion, the best costume racks to get are Z Racks. They come in different formats. Just Google it and you'll find lots of suppliers. 

As for your other question, you might play it as the Secretary being strong and fighting back or you might ask permission to cut the number.

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE: Thoughts?

Posted 01-09-2018 08:07

Thank you. I appreciate your input.

Teresa

Teresa De Zarn 

Theatre Director

513.231.3500 ext. 5137

513.231.1351--fax

• 4.  RE: Thoughts?

Posted 01-09-2018 01:12
    Teresa, I love that you're addressing this head-on. Honestly, I wouldn't cut the number. First of all, I don't know if the publisher would allow you to cut the number (although, in today's climate, you might be able to get them to agree to an edit). But secondly, this number provides more of an opportunity than anything else. Yes, this show (and this number) is "from another time period" -- but has the situation really changed that much? Is Harvey Weinstein cornering women (and potted plants) in restaurants really that much different than the 1950s boss chasing his secretary around the office, insisting that his wife is a "complete stranger" to him?

Instead of cutting the number, consider facilitating talkbacks after the production and/or inviting speakers into your theatre to talk about the progress (or lack thereof) that women have made in the workforce since the 1950s. You could reach out to local university professors and non-profit leaders -- or you could provide a forum for the real-life contemporary "pajama factory" workers, inviting women from local factories to speak about unionization (and the challenges that unions are confronting nowadays) and what it's like working on the line.

Really, there could not be a more perfect time to do Pajama Game in a high school. Instead of looking at numbers like "Her Is" as a problem, look at it as an opportunity to further engage your students (and their families) in the difficult work that still needs to be done to combat gender inequality in the workforce.

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 5.  RE: Thoughts?

Posted 01-09-2018 09:35
    When our sister school did "Thoroughly Modern Millie" they addressed the racial stereotyping--common for the time period but not ok in today's society--with a program note and pre-show announcement explaining that while they did not agree with the message, it was in keeping with the time period, and part of the show as written.

Josh Belk
    Director of Theatre
    Palmer Ridge High School
    Monument, CO

• 6.  RE: Thoughts?

Posted 01-09-2018 11:24
    Consider how Gladys reacts to Prez' advances. She doesn't have to play along. Her "Her is" responses are acknowledgments that she is pretty, she does dress well, she is a doll. She has a right to be all those things without succumbing to his overtures. At first she slaps his hands when he gets touchy, then it escalates to punching him in the stomach on her final "Her is" leaving him alone on stage singing about how she has run away, This should all be done in a light comic manner; think Tom and Jerry or Kate from The Taming of the Shrew. This can be reinforced during the dance break with its Latin rhythms like the bull fight of the pasa doble or the pursuit aspects of the tango.

All this helps establish her character as a strong, powerful women who can take care of herself. A woman who is not going to play the victim or the little miss. In contrast, Mae could be aggressive in her pursuit of Prez. I wonder if Mae could sing some of Prez' lyrics and he responds "her is." When she sings about running away, she does so in slow motion. It all becomes about her pursuit of him. Again she is a powerful women who gets what she wants. And she wants Prez.

I hope this helps. Sometimes how you stage a number can change the meaning. Prez is a fool anyway, so play on that.

Break a leg

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 7.  RE: Thoughts?

Posted 01-10-2018 09:28
    We bought Z Racks from Amazon & love  them! They're very sturdy and roll!
    For years we struggled with racks that weren't sturdy enough & it was a great investment!

• 8.  RE: Thoughts?

Posted 01-10-2018 16:29

Great points to ponder. Thank you everyone!

Teresa De Zarn 

Theatre Director

513.231.3500 ext. 5137

513.231.1351--fax

• 9.  RE: Thoughts?

Posted 01-10-2018 08:04
    ​I agree with the Z racks, but wanted to note - don't cut costs on costume racks!  We used four portable racks for Legally Blonde and one of the racks fell apart during the opening number, ruining Elle's big reveal!  It was sad...  :)
    They were older and borrowed.  But get good ones now, that way you won't have to replace them down the road.

Amber Hugus
    Harmony PA

• 10.  RE: Thoughts?

Posted 01-10-2018 11:01
    ​Check craigslist or a local marketplace website for the racks! I came across a boutique that happen to be going out of business and paid $70 for two industrial double sided racks, that happened to be on wheels!  I also have outfitted my entire costume room the same way. The only problem with this is making a purchase without real receipt of sales, but between myself and another parent, we donated the cash, it was too good an offer to pass up!

Analiese Hamm
    ECHS Drama Director
    Statenville GA

• 11.  RE: Thoughts?

Posted 01-10-2018 12:29
    For the racks, really think about what will work in your space.  We had the double sided industrial racks, but they weren't right for us.  When full of costumes, they barely fit through doors, and we had no place to store them when they weren't in use.  Because of our set up, our racks get moved at least twice a day on performance days, so easily moving between spaces when loaded was important.  We switched to collapsible racks a few years ago and we love them, but I agree - don't cut corners!!  We bought the heavy duty ones and so far, so good.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 12.  RE: Thoughts?

Posted 01-10-2018 14:25
    I was able to purchase 8 new, unused Z racks from a clothing store that was going out of business. I just happened to luck into them.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY