Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Lettering in Art

Posted 09-08-2017 09:04
    I know this is a theatre group but I have been asked by our art department about lettering.  So my question is do any of your schools allow student to letter in art and if so could you send me their criteria.

--
    Charles Puetzer
    Math Department
    Stage Manager
    Michigan City High School
    8466 W Pahs Road
    Michigan City, IN 46360
    (219) 873-2044, ext. 4360
    cpuetzer03@mcas.k12.in.us

• 2.  RE: Lettering in Art

Posted 09-09-2017 07:27
    Hi,

I received permission to award a Letter in Drama several years ago.  I deliberately made the criteria fairly intensive (at least, in my opinion).

Along with the One Act competition piece and our Spring Musical, we do about a dozen production a year - including producing shows from other schools that use our theatre.  My students have ample opportunity to earn a letter by the time they finish their sophomore year.  It is possible, but I rarely have any one earn a letter in their Freshman year.  Here is a list of our criteria.Screen Shot of list

------------------------------
    Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA

• 3.  RE: Lettering in Art

Posted 09-10-2017 10:35
    I've made lettering another step within the Thespian Point system. If you'll notice, there's no other honor milestone between being inducted (with 10 points), and making it to Honor Thespian (with 60 points). So, in our department, you must earn 30 Thespian Points to be eligible to letter, or be selected to the OAP Contest Cast/Crew, and if we win at District contest, that's an automatic letter - just like in any Athletics.

• 4.  RE: Lettering in Art

Posted 09-09-2017 08:57
    If you have National Art Honor Society and abide by all of their rules, most schools will allow students to letter after participating in their competitions.
    --
    Sent from Gmail Mobile

• 5.  RE: Lettering in Art

Posted 09-10-2017 09:07
    I award a letter for Thespians.  All of the work is tied to the performing arts: Theatre and Dance.  I don't include music since they have their own organization and I only include visual art if it is used in set creation, publicity, etc.  

Our school follows the ITS awarding of points and we have a few unique opportunities that I award points for.  Since 60 points is the Honor Thespian level, I also award a varsity Thespian letter at that stage.  It should equal about 600 hours in theatre arts work.

Irene Imboden
    Teacher/ Drama Director
    Troy City Schools
    OH