Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Rehearsal schedule conflicts with religious education class

Posted 09-05-2018 22:41
    Hello Colleagues,
         I've been teaching and directing high school theater for 20+ years and I wonder how you handle rehearsal conflicts with religious ed classes. We rehearse on a Monday and Wednesday evening and Thursday after school.
    Each year, some 9th and 10th graders inevitably have an ongoing conflict with an evening rehearsal/religious ed class in preparation for Confirmation.  Especially with a musical, at least two rehearsals per week are required to pull off a production.  What do you do?  I try to work around this but it's difficult and do you think it is wrong to factor this into the casting decisions?  It's a slippery slope and one that parents challenge.  
         I appreciate your insights.

------------------------------
    [Nancy][Vitulli]
    [Theater Teacher/Drama Director]
    [CHSW]
    [Cranston] [RI]

• 2.  RE: Rehearsal schedule conflicts with religious education class

Posted 09-06-2018 07:17
    if This is a large number of your departmental population, it might be much easier for you to adjust your schedule. You could move the Wednesday rehearsals to Tuesday. Or you could structure your rehearsal so that Wednesday's are for small group work and work around the kids that can't be there. 
    Pin every district I've worked in, it's been an unwritten (and sometimes written) that everything school related ends by 5:15 on Wednesdays. That's the dedicated "church night" for the churches in our community and it works well for everyone because we all know in advance.

Erin Moore
    Director of Theatre
    Sealy TX

• 3.  RE: Rehearsal schedule conflicts with religious education class

Posted 09-07-2018 10:47
    I absolutely take conflicts into consideration when casting leads(ie: if someone plays a sport or has multiple activities causing them to miss most rehearsals) but I NEVER discriminate for religious reasons. The CCD schedule for Confirmation is something that they do not have control of, it’s not like dance class that they can choose to give up during play season. They should never be made to feel that they are “choosing” their religion over drama as they cannot get married in the Catholic Church without being Confirmed. At the HS level, we should be encouraging our kids to keep God in their life without punishing them for it.

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: Rehearsal schedule conflicts with religious education class

Posted 09-06-2018 07:19
    If this is a large number of your departmental population, it might be much easier for you to adjust your schedule. You could move the Wednesday rehearsals to Tuesday. Or you could structure your rehearsal so that Wednesdays are for small group work and then work around the kids that can't be there. 
    In every district I've worked in, it's been an unwritten (and sometimes written) that everything school related ends by 5:15 on Wednesdays. That's the dedicated "church night" for the churches in our community and it works well for everyone because we all know in advance.

Erin Moore
    Director of Theatre
    Sealy TX

• 5.  RE: Rehearsal schedule conflicts with religious education class

Posted 09-06-2018 11:35
    Scheduling is the bane of our existence.  As long as the kids tell you up front what their rehearsal conflicts are, they can be planned for.  Of course, that planning is a PAIN!!!

In my program, I make it clear that such conflicts may prevent a student from a particular role, especially a lead.  Also, I continually stress that the amount and intensity the students put into rehearsals will dictate the final result.  Parents are informed of this as well.  

As long as everyone is aware of the schedule and expectations, complaints can be handled.

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA

• 6.  RE: Rehearsal schedule conflicts with religious education class

Posted 09-06-2018 12:16
    I always attached a full rehearsal schedule to the audition form, and ask students to list their conflicts. It doesn't matter why they're going to miss. If they've scheduled an activity that conflicts with a significant amount of rehearsal, they shouldn't be cast. When I have gotten push back on this, I explain that we can't be in two places at once, and that we need to thoughtfully choose where we spend our time, as it can only be spent once. Allowing cast members to miss a lot of rehearsal is disrespectful to the people who do show up to work. We depend on each other.

Billy Houck
    Theatre Teacher, retired
    Carmichael, CA

• 7.  RE: Rehearsal schedule conflicts with religious education class

Posted 09-06-2018 13:02
    I've seen a number of (non-high-school) theaters publish the rehearsal schedule at audition time so people have a chance to see what they're committing to. Here they have a chance to list their conflicts, which then results in a "conflict schedule" that can be used during casting. It's a little more effort up front, but it does work, and it treats everyone the same.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 8.  RE: Rehearsal schedule conflicts with religious education class

Posted 09-07-2018 06:56
    I thank you all for your insights.  I always question myself and how I handle casting as it is a a sensitive issue and I try to be as fair and objective as can be but after twenty-three years, I still quiver at parental pressure and question my practice. I do provide students with a full rehearsal schedule prior to auditions and they submit a signed contract and conflict sheet at that time.  I've also built my schedule around the marching band and various dance team practices that participate in football season as we are rehearsing during the same season. There are only so many days in the week, right?
         Inevitably, there will be conflicts no matter which day and time we try too rehearse.  Here's to another year of working our magic and I am thankful to have this forum.
         Nancy

[Nancy][Vitulli]
    [Theater Teacher/Drama Director]
    [CHSW]
    [Cranston] [RI]

• 9.  RE: Rehearsal schedule conflicts with religious education class

Posted 09-07-2018 11:04
    I tell students that Theater is their new God, but they never seem to take me seriously. Sigh.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 10.  RE: Rehearsal schedule conflicts with religious education class

Posted 09-07-2018 14:07
    ​Ken,

I literally laughed out loud which caused my co-workers to look at me. As for the topic, great advice from everyone. When you deal with educational theatre, part of the education is to teach the students how to communicate and to balance the school, show and life balance.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School