Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Non-Disney Beauty and the Beast

Posted 10-08-2019 09:21
    Hello friends! We are doing an RSC version of Beauty and the Beast (non-musical, decidedly non-Disney). I have three characters of enchanted furniture - a wardrobe played by two people, a vanity table, and a changing screen, and I'm looking for creative costuming for them. Ideas?
    Thanks!
    Liz Ledwell
    Falmouth Academy

• 2.  RE: Non-Disney Beauty and the Beast

Posted 10-10-2019 15:15
    Are you looking for something you can make yourself on a budget? Or would you prefer to rent them?

I'm a big fan of creative, budget-friendly solutions, so depending on how imaginative you want to be, a wardrobe could be as simple as two students pushing a clothing rack with clothes hanging from it. Or drawer faces with knobs stuck onto clothing. A vanity table might be a student with a pretty hand held mirror and fancy hairbrush. A changing screen could be a student holding up a large piece of decorative fabric. 

Have you asked the students? They are usually way more inventive than I could ever be!

------------------------------
    Ginny Butsch
    Community Engagement Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 3.  RE: Non-Disney Beauty and the Beast

Posted 10-10-2019 17:48
    HI - I found some pics from the original production. Unfortunately: not much help for the characters you're seeking. But what a unique take --- the Beast looks like he's straight out of an alien film!!!

7 pics from the RSC production (mostly Beast)

More pics from the RSC - color photos in the top 2 rows (only)

Michael McDonough
    TRW Asst VP Amateur Licensing
    New York