Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  QLab

Posted 04-03-2018 08:03
    Good morning,
    I have seen many of you refer to QLab in your posts for sound cues and video cues too.  I most recently started to investigate this and it looks really expensive--but there seems to be a free version?  Will this do sound and video cues?  If I can figure it out, I'd like to be able to use it for my next show in two weeks. Any good tutorials on youtube?

My district is really anti-Mac and relies on purchase orders, so if I spring for the software, it will have to be on my own dime and added to my personal computer.  If I can get away with only using a free version, especially for my first time out with it, it would be a good thing.  

Thanks in advance.
    Holly

------------------------------
    Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 2.  RE: QLab

Posted 04-03-2018 15:43

We used the free version of Q-Lab for our sound cues for a couple of years before committing and buying the software.  Ultimately I decided to purchase it because the free version only allows you to design one show at a time, and we had one acts, a student directed play and a main stage play going on at once.

We have also used Q-Lab for video.  As I recall, we had to purchase that one, there was no free version.  Or if there was a free version, it was quite limited and didn't work for us.

Our district is also anti-Mac.  For the video cues, I borrowed a Mac from the graphics teacher.  For sound, we fundraised and got an iPad.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 3.  RE: QLab

Posted 04-03-2018 20:24
    QLab is amazing for both audio and video. If it’s just sound cues, you can get by with the free version. I believe there is an option to get the full version through a subscription, similar to some of the music software. Very powerful, yet easy to use. As far as the school being anti-mac, we just bought a small iMac and keep it in the booth. It is not connected to the network so the IT folk are fine.

---------------------------------
    Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School
    ---------------------------------

• 4.  RE: QLab

Posted 04-04-2018 07:46
    Qlab is awesome, and it really is a: the only thing like it out there, and b: what the pros use.

Tje free version will get you a long way, and you can "rent" upgrades for like $3 a day (we did this when we needed vid cues, so we only paid for the week of tech and the run. Iirc, they have a plan where your rentals can go towards the cost of the full software. 

• 5.  RE: QLab

Posted 04-04-2018 06:55
    I love qlab. The free version does not do video on other screens but it does do audio. You can't add effects or anything like that in the free but it's perfectly fine for sound cues.  You can absolutely rent it per day at a reasonable cost and if you email them with your education credentials it's even more discounted. We do that all the time. It's like 6 dollars a day or something for audio and video. There are plenty of online tutorials and there are even text books to teach qlab.  I do everything in this program.  I have not worked with their new lighting side but audio and video I hve done a lot with.

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI
    Www.techiegreenroom.com

• 6.  RE: QLab

Posted 04-04-2018 08:20
    I'll also chime in to recommend QLab. The free version is very capable for basic stereo sound cues and basic video to one external monitor/projector. It is worthwhile to download it, and experiment. If you try something with a cue that is not allowed in the free version, the software will flag the cue to let you know.

I've rented the audio version for my last three production. Current cost is $4.00/day, and it accrues towards me owning a copy. Their current plan is renting for 110 days equals buying a license. If you search youtube.com for "QLab After Dark" you'll find a series of 14 video tutorials that touch on a lot of the capabilities of this software.

Just an example of what it can do: We did Diary of Anne Frank and I used QLab to control all sound and lights. I used an audio interface to give me 7 distinctive sources of sound - rear of house left and right speakers, left and right speakers in our orchestra pit, left and right speakers behind the set, and our main center cluster. The interface also provided MIDI connection to our ETC Element lighting console, so QLab could send MSC (MIDI Show Control) triggers to the lighting. During the bombings on Amsterdam our audience heard the planes approach from behind and to the right. Bombs fell from up high, and exploded all around them, with explosive flashes of light perfectly timed to the sound. Then the bombers flew off behind and to the left. When I initially described the effect to my student in the booth, and told her she'd be running all lights and sound for the effect, she literally started to have a panic attack at the thought of that responsibility. Then I explained QLab and she was a little more confident. Once she was hands on, it was a piece of cake. If I remember correctly, the entire effect had over 50 separate sound and light cues. And the entire bombing raid was triggered by one push of the space bar. The beauty of using QLab for the sequence meant that it was exactly the same each time, whether in rehearsal or performance. So my actors could confidently cue off of specific sounds or lights for their reactions or lines.

I also liked that I could localize other sound effects: the clock tower upstage left; street noise stage right; the burglar walking around in the downstairs (orchestra pit house left) then climbing the stairs to the attic area, and being heard outside the Annex door (upstage right). Couldn't have done it without QLab.

Steven Pruitt
    Drama Director
    Westview Jr/Sr High School
    Topeka IN

• 7.  RE: QLab

Posted 04-04-2018 09:06
    We run multiple shows on multiple computers using Show Cue Systems on Windows machines.  I have seen people run QLab, but have never experienced it myself.  SCS does everything we need it to do and more.  I also like the fact that once you purchase it you can upgrade to the penultimate version free.  I would love to see someone who is familiar with QLab do a comparison.

[William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 8.  RE: QLab

Posted 04-04-2018 09:32
    We use software called Show Cue System (SCS) which runs on Windows.
    It's from an Australian company at http://www.showcuesystems.com

You can see it in operation here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSBbo0oa8-0

I have used this for the last two years, and have been getting increasingly sophisticated with some of the combination cues and I can certainly recommend it as a Windows alternative to QLab.

Margaret Watt
    Artistic Director
    Mountain Dream Productions
    Victoria BC

• 9.  RE: QLab

Posted 04-04-2018 09:42
    Was introduced to QLAB while in the Master of Theatre Studies program as Southern Oregon University.  As a Mac user already, it makes sense for me to use it.  And, I use my own systems for it and lighting anyway.

As others have posted, the Pro version has a rent to own option, with the latest version at $4 per day.  (That means that after 100 days of rental, you own it.)  I rent the Pro version for tech week, and a few days before.  We set up and design the cues on the free version, and this is generally sufficient for most productions.  After this, the show can be saved and shared using the "Bundle Workspace" command.  This allows us to design multiple shows at the same time.  It takes about 2 minutes to close one show and open a saved one.

We use the Pro version in productions as it supports multi-channel output through USB so we can use directed sound to practical speakers and various locations around the house.  We map each input channel to a different speaker using the Main L/R and Auxiliary outputs.  This takes some time and practice to set up, but can make a difference when trying to create an immersive environment.

I don't use QLAB for video cues, mainly because we don't have the capacity for video in our space.  The newest version evidently supports DMX cues as well, but haven't tried that.

Thank you, also, to Margaret for the reference to a windows based cue system.  I'll have to check that out as well.

Jym Kinney
    Troupe Director
    Clover Park High School
    Lakewood, Washington

• 10.  RE: QLab

Posted 04-04-2018 09:48
    Hi All

There is a deal for first time use by an educator. That was how we first came to acquire it.

Take care all.

Donnie Bryan
    Department Chair for Visual and Performing Arts
    Nashville TN