Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  One act farce

Posted 06-12-2018 16:56
    hey all,
    I was thinking about doing a farce for my festival piece next year. Larger casts are preferred but not necessarily required. 

40 minute show. Given how tightly written faeces usually are i would prefer not to do a cutting. 

I am not looking for your typical playscripts show a la seussifications and the like. They are great in their own way but definitely looking for something a bit more advanced.

No limit on slammed doors.

------------------------------
    Joseph Gels
    Theatre Teacher
    Boston Latin School
    Boston MA

• 2.  RE: One act farce

Posted 06-13-2018 09:18
    Consider doing one of The Coarse Acting show pieces by Michael Green. Look at Pride at Southanger Park.

Maura Vaughn
    The Branson School
    Ross CA

• 3.  RE: One act farce

Posted 06-13-2018 09:52

Yes, it's best not to cut a farce since the story is likely to be very complicated. 

I've done a number of full-length ones, but if I can toot my own horn to an underappreciated show, I wrote a one-act farce set on the set of a 1940s radio drama, THE ASTONISHING ADVENTURES OF THE WHITE WEEVIL. 

Here's the blurb: "It's 1942, and the radio drama of the White Weevil is in deep trouble. Have no fear-management has an idea to save the show: Introduce a female superhero, Mrs. Amazing! But the chauvinistic White Weevil doesn't want to give up his starring role, and the fact that they've cast his wife is driving him insane. If that weren't bad enough, the script is a mess, his youthful ward is having a fainting fit and they're going on the air in five minutes."

You can find it here: 

https://www.youthplays.com/play/the-astonishing-adventures-of-the-white-weevil-by-don-zolidis-462

Don Zolidis
    Austin TX

• 4.  RE: One act farce

Posted 06-13-2018 18:21
    will look into them. thanks

Joseph Gels
    Theatre Teacher
    Boston Latin School
    Boston MA

• 5.  RE: One act farce

Posted 06-15-2018 14:29
    Look to the master of farce, Moliere. There are many one act versions of his work. Large casts, small casts, modernized and classical. It's hard to go wrong with great material.

Break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled,

Kelly Thomas
    Poteet Pirate Theatre