Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  One-Act Comedies

Posted 10-22-2018 11:14
    What are some good one-act comedies for a cast of no more than eight actors? I have not done any one-act plays this year and need some suggestions. Thanks!

------------------------------
    Kurt Young
    Helendale CA

• 2.  RE: One-Act Comedies

Posted 10-22-2018 11:30
    The Real Inspector Hound (one of my all-time favorites) has 8 - 5m, 3w - but Hound and one of the critics could easily be played by a girl.

Playscripts has a lot to choose from if you're looking for plays written specifically for high school students - Check Please and Brothers Grimm Spectacularthon could be done with 8 or less.

And there's always Too Mich Light Makes the Baby Go Blind - LOTS of flexibility when it comes to cast, length and content.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 3.  RE: One-Act Comedies

Posted 10-23-2018 15:46
    I also love The Real Inspector Hound.  It is a rather long <g class="gr_ gr_65 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-del replaceWithoutSep" id="65" data-gr-id="65">one-act,</g> if I remember correctly.  Some of the Reduced Shakespeare Company material is very funny and could be used as a one-act, but the high energy slapstick is difficult.

Janette Clark
    Drama Teacher
    Minneapolis KS

• 4.  RE: One-Act Comedies

Posted 10-22-2018 16:49
    Do you have a preferred length in mind?

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: One-Act Comedies

Posted 10-23-2018 10:19
    If this is for high school look at The Coarse Acting series (4 books). Audiences love them and they are just challenging enough for the actors.

Maura Vaughn
    The Branson School
    Ross CA

• 6.  RE: One-Act Comedies

Posted 10-23-2018 12:06
    Maura, could you give a bit more information?  I'm not finding a series by that name and I would love to check them out.  It sounds like it will work well in my current situation.
    Thanks!!

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 7.  RE: One-Act Comedies

Posted 10-23-2018 12:07
    Found them!  On Samuel French.

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 8.  RE: One-Act Comedies

Posted 10-24-2018 19:36
    I miss typed the name of the series. Samuel French has the scripts. It is called The Coarse Acting Show by Michael Green. There are four books and each book has four short plays.

"In each of these masterpieces from the authors of Four Plays for Coarse Actors sets collapse, actors fail to appear and props fall to pieces while the casts carry on, believing that the audience won't notice." 

Maura Vaughn
    The Branson School
    Ross CA

• 9.  RE: One-Act Comedies

Posted 10-24-2018 19:20
    One very good one-act comedy is The Actor's Nightmare! Not sure how many actors are in I but I hope this helps!

Gwendolyn Robb
    Maplewood MO