Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Character Analysis

Posted 12-14-2017 10:15

Looking for a good form for HS student to use for character analysis.

Blessings, H

Heather Sherrill
    hlbair@msn.com

• 2.  RE: Character Analysis

Posted 12-19-2017 14:12
    Hi Heather! I think I can point you in the right direction. This is a proficient level Model Cornerstone Assessment for character analysis. It's part of the National Core Arts Standards website and includes a character analysis form, along with a rubric and guidance about how to perform the task. 

You can find a few other character analysis exercises and documents by using the search feature in the blue navigation bar above. 

------------------------------
    Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 3.  RE: Character Analysis

Posted 01-03-2018 00:28
    I just got so excited to see that the student samples are up for high school theatre, and seeing two of my former students in one of the samples! Aww. Gonna cry.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON

• 4.  RE: Character Analysis

Posted 01-03-2018 15:54
    Here are some solid worksheets/Q&A sheets: link 1 and link 2.

I recently had a conversation with a director about how much character analysis is too much character analysis, especially for one-line ensemble characters. I'm still not sure that I agree with him (that you can do "too much" character analysis), but I get where you might not need to know Centurion #2's favorite color.​​​ I do like how they both focus on physicality though, pushing for students to get out of their heads in the early character analysis stage.

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org