Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  spanish translation

Posted 02-24-2019 13:33
    Hello,
    I'm looking for high school level plays that have spanish translation for classroom study as well as for production. I do not speak/read spanish but have a large population of non-english speaking students.
    Thank you

------------------------------
    Zuki Kemp

• 2.  RE: spanish translation

Posted 02-25-2019 08:36
    There are a lot of classics and other strong plays that are translated into other languages.  I used scenes from spanish translations of A Dolls' House and The Misanthrope for some advanced theatre classes in which I had a couple of spanish speaking ESL students. 

But I had other considerations, too.  The majority of my beginning ESL students were spanish speakers and in my level 1 classes.  They tended to have no experience with theatre (even as audience members) and many had education gaps which meant that a lot of high school level dramatic literature was overwhelming to them.  Worked better to have them create a scene or write dialogue from a personal story or from a traditional tale they knew.  There are also a growing number of short plays available that have a mix of Spanish and English, which gives everyone in the class the chance to 'be the expert' and also experience language learning.  

I would think about what your curriculum requires and then search for the material that makes the most sense.  Good luck!

Julia Wharton
    Theatre Director/Educator

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why?  I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?"  GB Shaw

• 3.  RE: spanish translation

Posted 02-25-2019 12:31
    I am a big fan of Gutenberg.org.  I just checked, and you can type "Spanish" in the search bar and find works on the site that are in Spanish.  These will all be public domain works, so not contemporary, but they are free and you can print them off at no charge.  

I noticed a volume of Shakespeare's plays translated to Spanish, and they have quite a few plays of Lope de Vega and Calderon de la Barca.  If you get a list of pre-1920 playwrights, you could search under their names.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC