Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Metamorphoses

Posted 04-06-2018 06:36
    Hey there,
    Anyone out there mount Mary Zimmerman's Metamorphoses?  
    What did you still do about the Myhrra and Cynaris scene?

• 2.  RE: Metamorphoses

Posted 04-06-2018 15:35

I love this show. I did it several years ago. First, have your administration read the scene – if they approve it, go for it. But I doubt they'll approve. Mine didn't – so when Vertumnus asks Pomona about offending Aphrodite – and asks, "Don't you know the story?" I had Vertumnus tell the story of Myrrha and her father with less vivid language.

------------------------------
    Holly Whiting
    Drama Teacher
    Issaquah WA

• 3.  RE: Metamorphoses

Posted 04-06-2018 17:37
    I first spoke to the parents and then my administration. The parents ok'd it so my admin went along with them since they represented the immediate community. When I cast the parts, I also met with the student's parents and after I staged the scene (which was done tastefully and artistically) those parents had a private viewing before we opened the show. Basically, everyone had a voice, felt informed and the integrity of the play was preserved as Mary Zimmerman wrote it.

Kathy Cannnarozzi Harris
    Theater Director - Mission Viejo HS
    VAPA Coordinator K-12
    Saddleback Valley USD
    Mission Viejo, CA

• 4.  RE: Metamorphoses

Posted 04-06-2018 17:50
    We included the scene when we did Metamorphoses. Done very symbolically though it was message was clear. My admin always reads and approves the entire play(s) that we do.  When we staged it, the audience could see the two actors never really "touched" each other though they entered the "pool" together; none of the text was changed, but the interpretation was very stylized.  It is a lovely play to do.

Carol Hovey
    Livermore CA

• 5.  RE: Metamorphoses

Posted 04-07-2018 09:28
    I contacted Mary Zimmerman directly. She said that it is ok to cut that scene, but the show is then called "scenes from Metamorphoses" She referred me to her agent (who had not responded to my emails prior to me e-mailing Zimmerman directly) for the details. Don't just cut it. talk to the licensing agency.

Billy Houck
    Theatre Teacher
    Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale CA