Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Certifications

Posted 04-19-2018 15:54
    Greetings All! So I have courses in Stagecrafts (Arizona CTE) and I was told to look for certifications my students can obtain to help them look better in the job world. Does anyone here know of some certifications that would be good for my students?

------------------------------
    Joseph Ellison
    Theatre Director
    Rio Rico High School
    Rio Rico, AZ

• 2.  RE: Certifications

Posted 04-20-2018 14:39
    Hi Joe, 
    There are no certifications available to high school students in the entertainment production industry. This was established at the time the new law for CTE in Arizona happened. 
    It has been suggested, but not required, the OSHA 10 if you want to pursue one.
    If you have any specific questions please email me. jenell.riordan@arizonathespians.com

Jenell

Jenell Riordan
    Desert Ridge High School Mesa, AZ Theatre Director
    Arizona Thespians Chapter Director

• 3.  RE: Certifications

Posted 04-21-2018 10:11
    See that's what I keep finding and the OSHA I feel wouldn't help that much for our industry based on my experience but I'm having a hard time explaining this to one of my admin mrmbers.

Joseph Ellison
    Theatre Director
    Rio Rico High School
    Rio Rico, AZ

• 4.  RE: Certifications

Posted 04-21-2018 15:12

Funny you should ask… 

Yep, there are no certification courses for high school tech theatre students that I've come across. And OSHA (as the "O" indicates – "Occupation") covers employees only – although I think we all agree that we should operate as if OSHA applies to students in the theatre as well. For these reasons, I am in the process of developing some online courses! As these are still in the development stage (they will be ready by the new school year this fall) any input as to what you'd like to see covered would be considered. 

How?  Why?

I developed and teach the 10-week online course on High School Theatre Management, which covers the practices of high school theatre operations. Primarily Drama teachers take the course, but also high school theatre staff, such as technicians and theatre managers (the course is also open to any students considering going into high school theatre management (different than stage management)). At the end of the course the students receive a letter of completion (documenting their coursework) and a certificate. I'm not an official certifying organization per se, but these do serve as documentation of their achievement and knowledge, which they can then present to current or prospective employers. 

So based on the structures of that course, I decided to also develop some courses specifically for high school students – since these are woefully lacking, and something I've also wished existed for a long time! Students will be able to pick and choose the subject matter of individual courses. The courses will cover many aspects of basic theatre operations, of which safety is a part. Because the courses will be online there may be a practical testing component for some lessons, which the theatre teacher would have to sign off on. Safety tests within the courses will be based on CTE standards. I have a CTE teaching certificate myself, so I am versed in CTE competencies, safety testing, and operations for the stage, fly system, scene shop – even the sewing workshop! – etc. At the completion of each course, the student will receive a certificate, which will serve as documentation for successful completion of each course. 

Again, I must stress that I am not an official certifying organization, nor am I a safety expert (this disclaimer will be stated with every course), however I do have an extensive background in working with students in high school theatre operations, and I am confident you will find the courses to be age appropriate and industry relevant.

If you'd be interested in being notified once the courses are ready, or if you have any thoughts to share about course content, please e-mail me (address below).

Beth Rand, EBMS
    Lighting Designer
    School Theatre Operations Coach

Next HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE MANAGEMENT ONLINE COURSE for Drama Teachers: Summer session starts June 4th. Fall session starts Sept 10th. http://www.presett.org/theatre-management-course.html

NEW SERVICE: REP PLOT DESIGN - Never have to re-hang and re-focus all your lights again! (Can be accomplished remotely if you're not in the Boulder/Denver area.) http://www.presett.org/repplot.html

Author of "HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE OPERATIONS" and "HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE SAFETY MANUAL" and more tech theatre books at http://www.presett.org/helpful-books-for-you.html.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

• 5.  RE: Certifications

Posted 04-22-2018 16:21
    Hi,

As others have commented, there are no certifications available for high school students.
    You might look at the NOCTI boundary exams (written and practical) in technical theatre and the eSET tests (written and practical).

https://www.nocti.org/PDFs/blueprint/7700.pdf

General test with specific practical skills

http://www.usitt.org/eset/

The eSET test is a certificate exam in varied technical areas. It starts with the "Basic Terms and Safety" test. 

In each case, these would be for upper level students with a broad knowledge base. Although lacking a certification, it would demonstrable evidence to a university or employer that the student is ahead of the rest.

Thanks,

Dana

Dana Taylor
    MSD of Mt. Vernon
    Evansville IN