Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Neil Simon appropriateness

Posted 05-17-2017 10:41
    Is anyone familiar with Neil Simon's play "God's Favorite"? If so, would you consider it appropriate for high school?

Thanks for your input!

Stephen Ingle
    Drama Teacher
    Jefferson High School

• 2.  RE: Neil Simon appropriateness

Posted 05-17-2017 12:27
    I am not familiar with God's Favorite, but I am with producing Neil Simon at the High School level.  My school Administration will not allow cursing on stage.  A number of years ago I wanted to do The Odd Couple.  I requested to remove the language and the response was a separate legal contract that indicated I would not change a single word and I would not soften or downplay any scene - ie. sexual content, politics, religion, etc...  I had to sign and return the document before performance license would be issued. Obviously I had to select another play by another playwright.  
    I don't know if this is still the policy.  I am curious every time someone posts about doing a NS play.  I would love to know how they cultivated a culture in their schools where the Fbomb on stage is accepted by Admin and Parents. Many people post that publishers are willing to work with edits, and to a degree I know they are, but my experience was that NS was an absolute NO GO.  Be sure the material fits your school and your group in it's entirety.

------------------------------
    Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 3.  RE: Neil Simon appropriateness

Posted 05-19-2017 11:33
    Some of his work is less HEAVY.  Also, everyplace is different.
    Also, there are thousands of other shows...

[Drama] [Dan] []
    [Drama Teacher/Director]
    [Dublin Coffman HS]
    [Dublin] [Ohio]

• 4.  RE: Neil Simon appropriateness

Posted 05-24-2017 15:12
    God's Favorite would not have been considered appropriate in any high school I have taught in.  

I have not produced a Neil Simon play in years, but I never had trouble getting permission to edit the language. What I did with Fools years ago is write a letter directly to Neil Simon, explaining what I wanted to delete--the expletives.  I typed each phrase as it would read with and without the expletive, listing the page number.  I then sent that letter to the publishing company to send on to Mr. Simon.  He approved all changes.

In fact, I have never had a playwright refuse to allow me to delete a curse word.  Never.  I suspect that is because I delete them with surgical precision, don't try to change something to "fricking" or something equally silly, and am very specific about where the proposed deletions are in the script.

I know that getting a message directly to playwrights doesn't seem to be as easy as it once was, when publishers were apparently willing to forward on a letter without repeated requests.  

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 5.  RE: Neil Simon appropriateness

Posted 05-25-2017 08:37
    We did God's Favorite a few years ago and performed it at the Missouri State Thespian Conference. We didn't have any problems with the administration or the school regarding this show. One of the characters is an alcoholic and, although it is humorous, the play doesn't glorify the alcoholism. The alcoholic character pays a dear price for his indiscretions, which has an impact on his father and his father's faith.
    The show is tough, though. You have to build two different mansions for your set; the nice one in Act 1 and the destroyed-by-fire one for Act 2. Plus you need burned furniture to replace your nice furniture.
    We loved the show and people who saw it at the conference in 2011 still comment on it.

Tim Buchheit
    teacher
    Washington MO