Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Wagon brakes that actually work

Posted 01-14-2019 10:20
    Help! I can't seem to find wagon brakes that don't fail. Any suggestions?

------------------------------
    Bernadette MacLeod
    Charlotte NC

• 2.  RE: Wagon brakes that actually work

Posted 01-14-2019 10:45
    These wagon brakes from Rose Brand are $35 each, but they are sturdy and infinitely reusable.

The height you attach them at is important. Too high and they don't work, too low and they raise the wagon too high, making it wobble some.

That said, my experience with wagons is that they are usually heavy enough to stay put even without the brakes. I still use them for extra peace of mind, but I don't know that they are always strictly necessary if your stuff is sturdily built and if the action on them isn't too wild.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: Wagon brakes that actually work

Posted 01-15-2019 10:41
    Josh Those breaks look great but seem to be the wrong height for my wheels.  I guess my question is how do you wheel your platforms to make those breaks work?

Kevin Phelan
    Theatre Director, Auditorium Manager
    Vernon Hills High School

• 4.  RE: Wagon brakes that actually work

Posted 01-15-2019 12:09
    Kevin, I think that would depend on a lot of factors, like the height of your platforms and whether they spin or not (i.e. how whether the audience ever sees the upstage side of it), also what they're used for. Because the brakes are kind of chunky, I've built housings for them, or even cut away some of the platform framing to incorporate the brake into the construction. I might not be making a whole lot of sense, and I wish I had pictures to show what I'm talking about. 

If the wheels are shallower than the brakes, you might block them up to the right depth using lauan or 1x4 shims.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 5.  RE: Wagon brakes that actually work

Posted 01-15-2019 15:09
    Bernadette - what kind of brakes are you using now?

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net

• 6.  RE: Wagon brakes that actually work

Posted 01-16-2019 10:07
    I came up with a solution that works but I like these. For this show, I'm using the other Rose Brand brakes, I just took off the stopper and screw on the bottom and drilled a shallow hole in the stage. The brake goes right into the hole. I'm  use 4 per 8x8 wagon and it's very sturdy. I'm going to keep these in my back pocket for next year though. Thanks!

Bernadette MacLeod
    Charlotte NC

• 7.  RE: Wagon brakes that actually work

Posted 01-17-2019 09:34
    Hi Josh,

Do you maybe have a few pictures of how you mount these that you could share?  I took over directing a few years ago and we've always just used a wooden wedge under the wagons to "lock" them in place....which can make doing quick changes to move wagons on and off a bit clunky and slow.  I've also tried using the door stoppers that flip down....those work okay for wagons that don't get a ton of traffic or movement on them....but I'd like to give a wagon brake a try...I saw a few others on <g class="gr_ gr_1141 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" id="1141" data-gr-id="1141">Rosebrand's</g> site that side <g class="gr_ gr_1231 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" id="1231" data-gr-id="1231">mount</g> on the wagon...the one you linked to looks like it mounts under it so that the pedal sticks out?

Thanks!

Lynda Gibson
    Director
    Troupe 2829
    Flushing High School
    Junior Troupe 88305
    Flushing Middle School

• 8.  RE: Wagon brakes that actually work

Posted 01-17-2019 10:37
    Lynda, I'm sorry but I don't have any pictures to show you. But yes, you're right, that' show these brakes mount. For sturdiness and because of the weight of the wagon, you'll want to either cut some platform legs to a length that you can fasten the brakes to the bottom of them, or just brace them well. Make sure there's clearance for the pedal; I made that mistake once and got my toes pinched.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL