Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Middle School Policies: Rehearsal Attendance & High School Assistants

Posted 08-11-2018 02:42
    Hello all,

I'm getting ready for the upcoming school year and making tweaks to our production policies, and I'd love to hear from other teachers about your policies at your own schools. I'm happy to hear everyone's thoughts, though I'm specifically interested in hearing from other middle school teachers.

1) Do you have a concrete policy for rehearsal attendance? If so, what is it, and are there any associated consequences? (I'm mindful of the fact that middle school students often have less control over their own schedules than high school students do.)

2) Do you ever have high school students come back to assist with your productions? If so, do you have any policies or procedures to help make that experience successful for everyone involved?

Thank you, and enjoy the last few weeks of summer!

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Berg
    Drama Teacher
    Ashland Middle School

• 2.  RE: Middle School Policies: Rehearsal Attendance & High School Assistants

Posted 08-12-2018 07:52

Elizabeth,

Here is what I did with my middle school productions.

Families received an audition packet before rehearsals began that had 2 calendars listing all rehearsal dates and which  ensemble members were expected to be present on each date. To audition, students had to turn in one [parent and student signed] calendar that highlighted dates they would not be at rehearsals (doctor appointments, family vacation, etc.). They kept the second calendar at home as a reminder. As  director, I took these dates into account before casting and could make minor changes in scheduling to make sure these absences had as little negative impact as possible. Any dates highlighted in advance became excused absences and would not effect a student's status in the production. 

If, during rehearsals, someone had multiple additional absences that began to negatively affect the entire cast, I would give the student a [private] warning that, if this continued, their role or tech position could be changed. Families were also notified. If the absences continued, I would have a conference with the student explaining the change in their role/position; it was his/her choice to accept the new role or leave the production. I tried not to separate anyone from the cast/crew completely, if possible.  This process was explained in the original audition packet and was well-known as a possible occurrence. Over two decades, I had relatively few problems with absences- and when I did, little kick-back in enacting this procedure (and complete administrative support.)

As for high school helpers, I tried not to have more than one or two at a time (one for cast assistance and one for crew assistance). The high school student had to contact me before a production if they wanted to assist, and we would map out, in advance, days they were expected to be at rehearsals and the scope of their help. Most of the time, high school students would only help out one or two days per week, so it was pretty simple to come up with specific tasks that would be beneficial to their development as well as help the production. Once they committed to a production, they were really good at meeting their obligations. The biggest issue was to solidify with the middle school kids the scope of the high school student's 'authority' (e.g.- if the high school student said the cast member had to sit down and run lines, did the cast member have to do it?)  We covered this at the first cast meeting after rehearsal. 

I hope this helps.

-Suzanne

Suzanne Katz
    Washington DC

• 3.  RE: Middle School Policies: Rehearsal Attendance & High School Assistants

Posted 08-12-2018 08:56
    Good morning,

I am at the high school but my son is now in middles school so I’m sure there is a policy but I am unaware of it now, but will pass along.

As far as high school helping, yes. Choreography, lighting, sound and scenic, the two high schools support the three middle school drama departments.

---------------------------------
    Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School
    ---------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Middle School Policies: Rehearsal Attendance & High School Assistants

Posted 08-12-2018 10:12
    My attendance policy is if you have other activities that you have written on your conflict sheet, go to them except the last 3 weeks, that belongs to Drama. If you do not have activities, you are expected at rehearsal and encouraged to come beforehand or afterward when you have activities. It is common for an actor to come to rehearsal, leave to go to b-ball, then come back. I give them a lecture when parent inform me that they have something I don’t consider an excused absence. If they don’t show up at rehearsal during last 3 weeks, I call them the first time they were not on stage & tell them that they are expected at rehearsal.

Alumni come back as Asst. student directors, spotlight, sound crew, prompters, Asst. Stage Managers & pit members. They come when they can.

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine Middle School
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: Middle School Policies: Rehearsal Attendance & High School Assistants

Posted 08-12-2018 10:40
    Hi Elizabeth, 
    I have a similar policy as Suzanne. I send an email home with the rehearsal schedule and what we call our conflict form a week before auditions. We have signups for the show the week before that. We always have some students show up to auditions who have not signed up, so I have paper copies available at the auditions. The rehearsal schedule and the conflict forms are sent as attachments to the email. The email explains the policy that students must attend the scheduled rehearsals unless it is listed on their conflict form. If they miss more than twice without being ill or a similar legit reason, their understudy will assume the role and they the understudy's role. I moved to middle school 13 years ago after 18 years teaching HS school and attendance at rehearsal was the biggest problem I had in the adjustment. The problem is mostly the parents who don't understand why it isn't ok if they take their child out of rehearsal because it is more convenient on that day for them. My admin supports my policy and over the years, the parents have learned we mean business, so it works fairly well for us. 

We have had many high school students work with tech over the years, and last year we had our first assistant director from the high school. This has been easy for us, we are a k- 12 school and the MS and HS are on the same campus and share the same performance space. I have at times asked the students to help with tech, sometimes they have come to me. Last year, the student who helped as assistant director came to us looking for an after school activity. My advice is the same as Suzanne's here. Make sure you outline their duties, be specific, and make sure the middle school students know as well. Set the calendar with the high school student up front as well. We have had great success with our high school student help. Again, we are K - 12, so these are the same students who have spent four years in our program, they know me and my ways well.

I am happy to share my forms and letter with you if you wish. Just email me, tina.tutt@mybga.org.
    Best,

Tina Tutt
    Middle School Theatre Teacher
    Middle School Theatre Director
    Battle Ground Academy
    Franklin, TN

• 6.  RE: Middle School Policies: Rehearsal Attendance & High School Assistants

Posted 08-12-2018 11:03

I have similar policies in place. Conflicts must be turned in at the time of auditions, and will be considered excused absences. After three unexcused absences families are contacted to remind them of the policies, and after five unexcused absences, someone else is assigned to cover the actor's lines/featured moments if they are an ensemble member or if they are a principle, an understudy is assigned. Once an understudy is assigned, they are guaranteed one performance. 

All of this is in the permission agreement that must be signed prior to auditions, and we also have a parent meeting during the first week of rehearsals, where it is reviewed again with both parents and cast in attendance.

Our middle schoolers are sometimes overwhelmed by all the choices of activities that they have, and want to do EVERYTHING. I stress to them that being in a show is a commitment. If they choose to join a club or add another activity once we have begun rehearsals, that new activity may have to wait, or they may not make every single meeting until our show is over. All of the sponsors of our various activities work together to make sure our students get to explore as many of their options as possible. 

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL