Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Emma! A Pop Musical

Posted 09-14-2017 11:06
    Hi Everyone!

I am considering doing "Emma! A Pop Musical" this year. Has anyone done this one or seen it? Thoughts? Reviews? 

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Sarah Aanderud Wahlen
    Director of Theatre & Film
    Holy Names Academy
    Seattle, WA

• 2.  RE: Emma! A Pop Musical

Posted 09-14-2017 11:46
    Emma! A Pop Musical was just recommended to me by a director on this site, so I read the script and listened to some of the songs. It sounds fantastic! I think I'll do it next year. Earlier response below.

- Arden

My class did [Emma!] a couple of years ago.  It was not difficult for a starter, much less expensive, and because there is pop music from the 60's to the 2000's in the script, it was fun and familiar for both the kids and the audience.  It also comes with recorded music, which makes rehearsal and performance much easier on the beginner--no pit to assemble!  The music takes some music background to teach, but you may also be able to get away with student choreography. 

Arden Thomas
    theater director
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 3.  RE: Emma! A Pop Musical

Posted 09-14-2017 12:17
    Thank you!

Sarah Aanderud Wahlen
    Holy Names Academy
    Seattle, WA

• 4.  RE: Emma! A Pop Musical

Posted 09-15-2017 15:47
    Hello!

I recommended this musical to another director just a few weeks ago.  My students performed it just last spring.  We LOVED it!  I would say that it was modern and fresh.  You can see a lot of examples of staging if you just check out videos on youtube.  We really made it full blown by setting up an outdoor wedding scene - complete with a fake paper mache wedding cake.  I went for a more fresh uptake on the school setting and the girls wore cute purple and navy Scottish kilts.  I let them add their personality with different vests, ties, socks, hose, and shoes.  Teachers even commented that it was the best play they had seen at the school in 15 years!   Now I am nervous about coming up with such a hit next spring!

Good Luck!

Stacie Graves
    Drama Department
    Ramstein HS, Germany
    gypsymoon313@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Emma! A Pop Musical

Posted 09-16-2017 19:43
    We did Cyrano de BurgerShack which like Emma! is published by Playscripts. We had great success with it. My students were a little weary of doing it since they had never heard of it before like the MTI shows we normally do, but the music changed everything. The students enjoyed it since they were already familiar with the songs and the audience loved it. Many returned for the second show. I'm planning on doing Emma next. Playscripts musicals are very reasonable to produce and well written not to mention it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.

Jill Gable
    South San Antonio High School
    San Antonio TX

• 6.  RE: Emma! A Pop Musical

Posted 09-18-2017 13:57
    Thanks everyone!

Sarah Aanderud Wahlen
    Holy Names Academy
    Seattle, WA

• 7.  RE: Emma! A Pop Musical

Posted 09-19-2017 06:11
    We did this last spring and it was a total delight. Lots of opportunities to feature girls and just a few nice roles for boys. We did three separate ensembles so each could be featured in different numbers. Kids had a ball with the choreography. Easy set w/no impossible challenges. Contact me for pictures. I even have 22 uniform skirts if you are interested. The recorded music was  affordable good quality and available to order with the show.

Nell Lynch

• 8.  RE: Emma! A Pop Musical

Posted 09-21-2017 13:04
    Thanks for this positive feedback, Nell! I noticed you posted on this subject somewhere else on the message board and you mentioned that you do a big Spring musical every year and "this is not that". I was curious what you meant by that. One of my worries about this musical is that the kids will be disappointed that it is not a "real" musical...not MTI or one of the classics. What was your experience with regard to this concern?

Thanks again so much for your feedback. I will definitely be contacting you for pictures and information!

Sarah Aanderud Wahlen
    Holy Names Academy
    Seattle, WA
    swahlen@holynames-sea.org